website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

15 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Surely it won't happen since in Osaka (which is now the most hit prefecture and city by fourth(?) wave of covid) at figure skating World Team Trophy they let fans into the venue and there were many people, of course with keeping distance and in masks, but still.

1 hour ago, opruh said:

Delusional, the rate of infection is climbing up again all over the world.  

Is there a mathematical formula that should be used to determine what rate of infection makes it either acceptable or unacceptable to hold the Olympics?

Sports leagues all shut down when the pandemic started because no one could be sure how to hold events and games safely.  We've largely learned how to do that in the past year with increased testing and the proper health and safety protocols in place.  And if it weren't for money and all the television rights, we probably still wouldn't have sports.

It can easily be argued that it's a reckless and irresponsible decision to hold the Olympics this summer.  But the IOC wants their television money, so if that means the Japanese organizers have to put measures in place to best ensure everyone's safety, they'll do that, even if it's going to cost a lot of money.  In hindsight, perhaps it would have been wise for Tokyo 2020 to get pushed back another year (although that would have brought another set of challenges), but too late for that now.  It's 2021 or bust at this point.  Just because COVID is still out there does not imply there cannot be an Olympics this summer

9 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Tokyo has just entered a state of Emergency again due to Covid. I feel like we might hear rumours soon of countries saying if it’s still in place in July they might decline to travel there. 

No we won't.  How many countries are playing sports right now, many with a higher COVID case count than what they're dealing with in Japan?

On 14/02/2021 at 10:41, Orangehair43 said:

Australia discussing if to ban their citizens from travelling abroad for work so I can see them withdrawing within the next two months.

What happened to this prediction made some 9+ weeks ago?

On 23/04/2021 at 16:46, Orangehair43 said:

Tokyo has just entered a state of Emergency again due to Covid. I feel like we might hear rumours soon of countries saying if it’s still in place in July they might decline to travel there. 

This is bad news, i'm already preparing myself for the breaking news about the cancellation of the olympics.

3 hours ago, opruh said:

This is bad news, i'm already preparing myself for the breaking news about the cancellation of the olympics.

IOC is very happy with the state of emergency because it's national holiday week in Japan and if it was not done it would have lead to more imfections and condition would deteriorate just like the efficacy of chinese vaccines are deteriorating day by day with more trials. So basically it was a good and expected decision. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107119/tokyo-2020-increased-pre-game-testing

Probably all athletes and other people involved with Olympics will be tested every day by 14 days. Also everyone needs to have two negative tests before arrival to Japan and everyone will be tested too before leaving airports. More details will be published in new playbooks which will be released on April 28th.