website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

On 25/04/2021 at 12:43, Fly_like_a_don said:

IOC is very happy with the state of emergency because it's national holiday week in Japan and if it was not done it would have lead to more imfections and condition would deteriorate just like the efficacy of chinese vaccines are deteriorating day by day with more trials. So basically it was a good and expected decision. 

I would not make fun of vacinnes or the covid situation from a country i dont like because I'm a decent human being, this pandemic is not a joking matter. I'm just gonna hope that the situation in your country improve asap. 

We can expect a LOT of withdrawals at Tokyo because of positive tests: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107190/athletes-to-be-tested-daily-covid-tokyo

All athletes will be tested daily, I think we all know what this means. Positive test or close contact with someone who produced a positive test means WD until they produce a negative test. 

10 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

these Olympic games are going to be a disaster! I thought all athletes would be vaccinated?

As far as I know people can have positive tests even after they have been vaccinated, it's just not as likely. It will be the job of each country to vaccinate their athletes and reduce the risk of their withdrawal. I know for sure that every Hungarian who will travel to Tokyo will be vaccinated (unless we will have someone under 18 in our team). 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

As far as I know people can have positive tests even after they have been vaccinated, it's just not as likely. It will be the job of each country to vaccinate their athletes and reduce the risk their withdrawal. I know for sure that every Hungarian who will travel to Tokyo will be vaccinated (unless we will have someone under 18 in our team). 

France also vaccinated, last summer the virus could circulate very well ... after the simplest would be that all the athletes are in a health bubble 15 days before their competitions

3 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

France also vaccinated, last summer the virus could circulate very well ... after the simplest would be that all the athletes are in a health bubble 15 days before their competitions

I think the wealthier nations will make sure that their athletes will be there 14 days before the Games to reduce the risk. Europeans would likely travel there early anyway to get used to the time zone. IOC probably wants to avoid the complete withdrawal of some nations so they aren't making anything mandatory other than the testing and the usual CIVID safety measures. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I think the wealthier nations will make sure that their athletes will be there 14 days before the Games to reduce the risk. Europeans would likely travel there early anyway to get used to the time zone. IOC probably wants to avoid the complete withdrawal of some nations so they aren't making anything mandatory other than the testing and the usual CIVID safety measures. 

I also hope that all countries will participate, except north korea which visibly will not change its mind. After something else that has nothing to do, but I find that many small nations will have a hard time doing better than rio in terms of quota

Yes, Tk get everyone vaccinated the IOC would have to buy the, which would cause a massive backlash towards them. Severest countries will have gotten most of their team done with at least one jab by July and others will secretly push people up the list without it being publicised. 

I can't imagine being a candidate for an Olympic medal and being tested positive one day prior to my competition and being forced to withdraw due to a positive test. Unfortunately, I believe there will be such desperate situations during the Games this year.