website statistics

Athletes with origins from other Countries

Makedonas

Anyway I still unsuccessfully search/investigate for a possible origin of Megan Jastrab, but can not find for all of this world any single clue...:wall: but I am more than sure there something Slovak hidden there somewhere considering Jastrab is a pure and only literal correct Slovak word

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Hard to find more typical czech name than Vašek Pospíšil :p btw for info Pospíšil means in czech: he hurried :p and Vašek is kinda young Vaclav :lol:

I didn’t bother with athletes who’s parents or grandparents are from another country because I don’t have all day :P

But ya, Pospisil’s parents are both refugees from :CZE.

Assuming we don't qualify in men's basketball (which would add the Antetokounmpo brothers and Calathes to this list), or more tennis players, here is the official Greek team for 2020 with origins from other countries. Everyone on this list was born in Greece unless I say otherwise. We don't have any suspicious naturalizations like some other countries do, which is something I'm proud of because everyone who represents us actually was born and/or raised in our country (with the exception of Stamatia Scarvelis who has two Greek parents so she has the ancestral connection).

Artistic Swimming:

Maria Alzigkouzi Kominea - :LBA father

Andriana Misikevych - :UKR origins, not sure where she was born or any details like that

Athletics:

Konstantinos Douvalidis - :USA father (uses mother's surname)

Emmanouil Karalis - :UGA mother

Eleni Polak - :POL father and :SRI mother

Stamatia Scarvelis - born in :USA to Greek parents

Judo:

Alexios Ntanatsidis - born in :GEO to Greek parents and moved to Greece at 4 years old

Rowing:

Christina Bourmpou - :GBR mother

Sailing:

Byron Kokkalanis - :PHI mother

Swimming:

Kristian Gkolomeev - born in :BUL but moved to Greece as an infant

Tennis:

Stefanos Tsitsipas - :RUS mother

We have half :JPN Rio Waida who qualified in surfing (his mother is Japanese and father is Javanese, his name in Kanji is 和井田理央).

5 players of our badminton team are Chinese descent so they must have grandfather/great-grandfather coming from China, but due to the discriminatory laws and bad archiving we can't have the exact record. They mostly don't even know their Chinese surname, so they just live with their invented Indonesian surnames.

• 2 weeks later...

Aron Baynes - Australia, Basketball. :NZL born and both parents are Kiwis. Left for Australia at a young age.

Rebecca Parkes - Hungary, Water Polo :NZL born and bred but left because let's be honest NZ water polo is non existent and Hungary is a proven powerhouse and plys her trade there.

Athletes with :GRE origins representing other countries in Tokyo (there may be more but so far this is what I know):

:AUT Anna-Maria Alexandri (artistic swimming) - Born and raised in Greece, moved to Austria at age 15. Previously competed for Greece.

:AUT Eirini-Marina Alexandri (artistic swimming) - Same as above, they are triplet sisters (the other sister also competes but not going to the Olympics)

:ARM Kristina Alvertsian (athletics) - She has distant Armenian roots but was born and raised in Greece and recently started competing for Armenia three weeks ago (she got the universality place so obviously she wouldn't have qualified if she still competed for Greece).

:USA Stephania Haralabidis (water polo) - She was born and raised in Greece and her father played for the Greek men's national team, and she also played for the Greek national team until 2015. She lived in USA since 2013 (university) and stayed and began competing for USA in 2018, although after she got Greek citizenship she came back to Greece to play club water polo. I guess she only cares about Greece when it's convenient for her, sad.

:USA Helen Maroulis (wrestling) - Greek father and she sometimes competes in Greece. In the town where her grandparents live in Greece, they named the main square after Helen after she won gold in Rio.

:USA Alexander Massialas (fencing) - Greek father and Taiwanese mother

:USA Sabrina Massialas (fencing) - Same as above

:USA Nefeli Papadakis (judo) - Greek father and Filipino mother. She trains in Greece sometimes.

:GER Sideris Tasiadis (canoeing) - Has Greek parents and lived in Greece for 10 years during his childhood.

:RUS Elena Vesnina (tennis) - Greek maternal grandfather

:NED Afrodite Zegers (sailing) - Born and raised in Greece but moved to the Netherlands some years ago and is married to a Dutch guy.