website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, Adriano said:

But she wasn't sure that she should won by fall?

you think it was a fall ? no I don't think so, one of her shoulders was always on the air. if the center ref sees something even close to a fall you will see him looking at the mat chairman (to get the confirmation), that didn't happen, 

the Czech girl made some mistakes in her adjustment and let her escape the fall. that was inevitable if Hanzlickova could just keep her position. or at least she could keep her for the entire 3 minutes and let the clock burn down. but I think it's easy to say from here, things are different when you are on the mat and your entire career's dream is on the line, you make mistakes.

The achievements of the Italian team are scandalous so far: 11 fights and 10 defeats in the first round + only 1 win for Nikoloz Kakhelashvili. The women's team didn't even put up a fight here and embarrassed themselves. I don't know what's the point of sending such weak players to the qualifying tournament? Italy's only chances are two aging freestyle competitors: Chamizo and Conyedo. There is no one young who would make progress or even fight. I don't know if there is something wrong with the financing of wrestling in Ita, e.g. at the cost of judo?). In any case, we need to think about what to do with this team after 2024. Does it make sense to invest in this sport, and if so, how? Perhaps it is worth thinking about naturalizing a few younger people, e.g. from the former USSR, since local wrestlers are in no way able to be competitive. Btw., the last medals for Italy were the participation of naturalized Cubans: Chamizo and Conyedo (the last native Italian to win an Olympic medal was Andrea Minguzzi in Beijing 2008: gold). In my opinion, without new naturalizations, there is no point in financing such a weak and uncompetitive team. Tomorrow I wish that Chamizo will win the quotas but this will not change the total decline of Italian wrestling in recent years.

Edited by copravolley

2 hours ago, copravolley said:

The achievements of the Italian team are scandalous so far: 11 fights and 10 defeats in the first round + only 1 win for Nikoloz Kakhelashvili. The women's team didn't even put up a fight here and embarrassed themselves. I don't know what's the point of sending such weak players to the qualifying tournament? Italy's only chances are two aging freestyle competitors: Chamizo and Conyedo. There is no one young who would make progress or even fight. I don't know if there is something wrong with the financing of wrestling in Ita, e.g. at the cost of judo?). In any case, we need to think about what to do with this team after 2024. Does it make sense to invest in this sport, and if so, how? Perhaps it is worth thinking about naturalizing a few younger people, e.g. from the former USSR, since local wrestlers are in no way able to be competitive. Btw., the last medals for Italy were the participation of naturalized Cubans: Chamizo and Conyedo (the last native Italian to win an Olympic medal was Andrea Minguzzi in Beijing 2008: gold). In my opinion, without new naturalizations, there is no point in financing such a weak and uncompetitive team. Tomorrow I wish that Chamizo will win the quotas but this will not change the total decline of Italian wrestling in recent years.

well, the girls had some interesting results in the past years (Aurora Russo is the 2023 junior european and world champion)

and Piroddu also had great results in the youth classes

I don't really know why they just can't translate that once they enter the senior ranks? :facepalm:

imho, we need to invest on top class coaches (and their "unconventional" methods, which might be hard to cope with here in our society) rather than going for athletes' shopping in Russia or in Cuba (especially nowadays)

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

well, the girls had some interesting results in the past years (Aurora Russo is the 2023 junior european and world champion)

and Piroddu also had great results in the youth classes

I don't really know why they just can't translate that once they enter the senior ranks? :facepalm:

imho, we need to invest on top class coaches (and their "unconventional" methods, which might be hard to cope with here in our society) rather than going for athletes' shopping in Russia or in Cuba (especially nowadays)

The federation has probably bet everything on judo, which shows good results and prospects. Italian sport is underfunded and that's why sometimes you have to make difficult choices. I once saw Coni's calculations that less money is invested in Italian sport than in the 1990s. Without money, there will be no good coaches and modern training methods, unfortunately. Junior successes are important but they do not matter if it doesn`t translate into good results in seniors.

Edited by copravolley

44 minutes ago, copravolley said:

The federation has probably bet everything on judo, which shows good results and prospects. Italian sport is underfunded and that's why sometimes you have to make difficult choices. I once saw Coni's calculations that less money is invested in Italian sport than in the 1990s. Without money, there will be no good coaches and modern training methods, unfortunately. Junior successes are important but they do not matter if it doesn`t translate into good results in seniors.

It is interesting, that too much money is not so good too. The hosts, Azerbaijan had all they need but did not win a single quota in the first 2 days. 

11 minutes ago, avlar said:

It is interesting, that too much money is not so good too. The hosts, Azerbaijan had all they need but did not win a single quota in the first 2 days. 

Just because someone spends a lot of money badly does not mean that you have to reduce your funds and hope for a miracle. PSG also invests money poorly, but Man City is playing great with a lot of money. You definitely need to invest more in sports if you want to stay at the top of the class. medal

if Chamizo continues to wrestle like this, he is not going to win a quota today (or maybe he is saving energy ?:dunno:)

his counter attacks are still deadly but you can't count on that too much against better wrestlers.

few more "favorites" like Zhabrailov or H. Aliyev struggled in their first matches. we might see some big names falling today

Edited by MHSN

We have 5 men in QF but I wonder if we will be able to get a single quoata today. Our freestyle team was not good enough in recent years. Last Olympic medal was taken in London 2012.

Freestyle

57 kg :MKD vs :AZE + :BUL vs :AIN

65 kg :MDA vs :GEO + :AZE vs :ALB

74 kg :AZE vs :ITA + :AIN vs :SVK

86 kg :GEO vs :AIN + :UKR vs :AZE

97 kg :AIN vs :UKR + :POL vs :AIN

125 kg :POL vs :AIN + :BUL vs :AZE

We were close to 4 men in SF. But Arushanian was not accurate enough at the very end, and Hotsianivski looked too tired.

With these opponents I still unsure if we get can get the first freestyle quota for Paris today. But in genral our wrestlers looked not so bad.