website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

19 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Is this from the same source that said we are not sending a team to the European Athletics champs.

Why would they not send the relay when 3/4 athletes are already selected and I have no doubt that Angharad gets the time tonight.

I put Orangehair43's musings on the same level as Donald Trump's rantings on Truth Social but in this instance, I wouldn't be surprised if GB Aquatics decided not to accept the relay quota if their own selection time is not met. GB Aquatic's criteria for acceptance is purely based on time so it doesn't matter how many of the individual athletes are qualified - we could even have a scenario where we have swimmers achieving the BST across all 4 strokes but collectively they miss the relay nomination time.

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I put Orangehair43's musings on the same level as Donald Trump's rantings on Truth Social but in this instance, I wouldn't be surprised if GB Aquatics decided not to accept the relay quota if their own selection time is not met. GB Aquatic's criteria for acceptance is purely based on time so it doesn't matter how many of the individual athletes are qualified - we could even have a scenario where we have swimmers achieving the BST across all 4 strokes but collectively they miss the relay nomination time.

That would be hilariously stupid. 

Edited by Orangehair43

48 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Good to see Anderson in the pool and posting a decent heat time. Hopefully she can build on it this evening.

Great to see. And she has to secure the 4x100m relay. 

Brilliant set of 200 free heats, having to go sub 1.48 just to make the final is incredible. McMillan swam way better than I thought he would, he could definitely be a spanner in the works. Although I feel if he doesn't get in the top 4 and Bird gets top 6 they won't take him and will opt for Bird instead as McMillan isn't eligible for any individuals. 

I also fear the women's free relay could be in danger tonight. If Hopkin doesn't go sub 53, it'll mean the other 3 qualifiers would have to average a sub 54. Which would be a lot easier if Anderson was up to form. 

42 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I also fear the women's free relay could be in danger tonight. If Hopkin doesn't go sub 53, it'll mean the other 3 qualifiers would have to average a sub 54. Which would be a lot easier if Anderson was up to form. 

Maybe they would take into Anderson being off her best but I doubt it. 

Edited by Orangehair43

42 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Brilliant set of 200 free heats, having to go sub 1.48 just to make the final is incredible. McMillan swam way better than I thought he would, he could definitely be a spanner in the works. Although I feel if he doesn't get in the top 4 and Bird gets top 6 they won't take him and will opt for Bird instead as McMillan isn't eligible for any individuals. 

I really don’t see Bird going unless he gets top 4 tonight. 

10 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I really don’t see Bird going unless he gets top 4 tonight. 

He will if he gets top 6 and McMillan or Turkey don't get top 4, they need at least 2 reserves for the relay. If it's a top 4 of Guy, Dean, Richards and Scott then the 2 most likely reserves would be Litchfield and Bird. 

29 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

The freestyle relay was always one of the tougher standards to meet, particularly with Anderson not firing on all cylinders, but I don't think it's as extreme as you make out.

If we can get 2 athletes achieving the BST of 00:53.55 - Hopkin and Okaro or Anderson - then the remaining two swimmers need to be quicker than 00:54.50 to get within the 03:36.40 target time.

Even if Hopkin is the only swimmer to get the BST, then the three other swimmers would need to average 00:54.25 to qualify - that would still be new PB territory for most of them so not going to be easy but it isn't beyond reach.