website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Having 2 athletes in all of the men's long distance events (800, 1500 and open water) is some going and something which no one would've thought was achievable 10 years ago. 

I think we only have 1 in the 800?

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think we only have 1 in the 800?

No, Dan Jervis got the time at last year's trials and actually missed the BST by 0.01. I think he's a certainty to do this in Paris, and probably got confirmation from the selectors beforehand that he'd be allowed if he wanted to - hence why he didn't enter. 

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

No, Dan Jervis got the time at last year's trials and actually missed the BST by 0.01. I think he's a certainty to do this in Paris, and probably got confirmation from the selectors beforehand that he'd be allowed if he wanted to - hence why he didn't enter. 

Ah right enough - he wasn't on my radar cos he didn't enter the event here. Unfortunately that probably makes the case for taking Bird a bit harder to make.

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Ah right enough - he wasn't on my radar cos he didn't enter the event here. Unfortunately that probably makes the case for taking Bird a bit harder to make.

It does, but Bird's big opportunity is getting in via the 200 relay. Top 6 would put him in contention as reserve. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Good performance from MacInnes, exactly what we needed for the relay. She also goes bang on the OQT, meaning she can be entered into the individual if she wishes. 

It’s not if she wishes. It’s if the team wishes. And I think they tell her to focus on the relay and 200. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

It does, but Bird's big opportunity is getting in via the 200 relay. Top 6 would put him in contention as reserve. 

Doubt it. Feels very unlikely. I think he knew the minute he finished his 400 that he is only going to Paris as a spectator.