website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

9 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Peaty needs the cover - if there's any space on the boat/plane/train, Wilby goes. some of tonight's results, particularly the 2-3 in the 50 free and 1-2 in the 200 IM take a certain amount of the pressure off, tomorrow they'll want the obvious 4 for the 4 x 200, so they'll be keeping a nervous eye on Guy - if he's top 4, a lot of the issues resolve.

Tomorrow they'd like one of the three key breaststrokers to punch the ticket, Luke Greenbank to hit his straps, and no shocking surprises in the freestyles. Id Blocksridge did a miracle, that would be ice but it's not really likely.

Bt my raw count, we have 24 guaranteed or 2nd with consideration time. Tomorrow they'll want Guy, Greenbank, Hanlon or Evens to do likewise, and would quite like Freya Anderson to swim - she is listed, all the other 4 x 1 major players are already on the boat.

That would, in theory, bring the team up to 28. After that, if its me, I'm bringing Wilby, I'm bending the rules by saying Tobias is an openwater quota place,  and then its a toss up for me between Bird and Blocksidge, leaning toward the latter. I think in that scenario, Whittle and Cox lose out.

Maybe but they could think he can do all 7 races it’s not that taxing. 

Looking ahead to the final day and the women's medley relay, with the backstroke and butterfly times set down, by my calculation, I think we have a little over 1:59.00 to play with for freestyle and breaststroke.

That should be achievable if Evans can get down to 1:06.00 and Anna Hopkin can hit 00:53.00

34 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Looking ahead to the final day and the women's medley relay, with the backstroke and butterfly times set down, by my calculation, I think we have a little over 1:59.00 to play with for freestyle and breaststroke.

That should be achievable if Evans can get down to 1:06.00 and Anna Hopkin can hit 00:53.00

Going to be tight. Will be very annoying if they miss by a small amount.

41 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Doable but not a guarantee considering that would need a British record in the breaststroke and for Anna to be near her best.

Personally I think they'll field a medley if one of the breaststroke ladies gets the individual nod even if the relay split is not quite there. They'll have all the other legs there anyway.

15 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Doable but not a guarantee considering that would need a British record in the breaststroke and for Anna to be near her best.

Personally I think they'll field a medley if one of the breaststroke ladies gets the individual nod even if the relay split is not quite there. They'll have all the other legs there anyway.

Between them, Evans and Hopkin need to find 0.11 seconds on their 2024 seasons bests. Makes it sound much more manageable. :d

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Between them, Evans and Hopkin need to find 0.11 seconds on their 2024 seasons bests. Makes it sound much more manageable. :d

My worry is that Anna is in - say - 53.10 shape and Angharad repeats her season's best but no better. Although, as I said, I still think it will be enough in practice.

The final day has many implications on it for sure, especially that men's 200m free. Could decide a whole bunch of things:

1) the make up of the 4x200m relay obviously and back ups for that event

2) the potential back up for the 4x100m - if Whittle doesn't go well, he hurts his chances.

3) the potential for Bird - a good 200m performance and he might get not only a relay back up but an individual 400m spot.

4) the potential for the 50m free - if Richards comes top 2 in the 200m, I can't see him doing all 3 freestyle and potentially 3 relays. Which would open up the spot for Cohoon in the 50.

5) whether Peters will get onto the team - if Guy goes poorly, Jacob might get the fly spot but if Jimmy goes top 6 I think it is curtains for Jacob.

So many moving parts could be affected by that one race.

9 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Apparently they going to strict and not do that so it raises standards for LA. 

28 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Apparently they going to strict and not do that so it raises standards for LA. 

Is this from the same source that said we are not sending a team to the European Athletics champs.

Why would they not send the relay when 3/4 athletes are already selected and I have no doubt that Angharad gets the time tonight.

30 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Is this from the same source that said we are not sending a team to the European Athletics champs.

Why would they not send the relay when 3/4 athletes are already selected and I have no doubt that Angharad gets the time tonight.

Becuase they have set a time and want to be able to say not reaching the time has consequences so it raises standards further.