website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

43 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think I'm beginning to come round to the idea that Bird is on the team - I'm currently sitting at 31 and that includes Bird, Anderson, Cox, Hanlon, Guy and Peters. 

If Blocksidge gets the time this evening that would definitely complicate matters - but it would be a fantastic complication to have 

If Blocksidge gets the time then I think Hanlon misses out. If Hanlon also gets the time tonight then I think it's curtains for Cox (unless they're willing to go 1 over the limit). 

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If Blocksidge gets the time then I think Hanlon misses out. If Hanlon also gets the time tonight then I think it's curtains for Cox (unless they're willing to go 1 over the limit). 

They probably more likely to go 1 or 2 under the limits than 1 over. 

Posted (edited)

Before the last night of action gets underway I'll be brave and predict the team:

Women's Squad:

1.) Abbie Wood - 200m Free / 200m IM / 4x100 Relay / 4x200 Relay

2.) Angharad Evans - 100m Breast / Medley Relay

3.) Anna Hopkin - 50m Free / 100m Free / 4x100 Relay / Medley Relay

4.) Eva Okaro - 100 Free / 4x100 Relay

5.) Freya Anderson - 200m Free / 4x200 Free / 4x100 Free 

6.) Freya Colbert - 200m IM / 400m IM / 4x200 Relay / 4x100 Relay / Medley Relay

7.) Honey Osrin - 200m Back

8.) Kara Hanlon - 100m Breast / 200m Breast 

9.) Kathleen Dawson - 100m Back / Medley Relay

10.) Katie Shanahan - 200m Back / 400m IM

11.) Keanna Macinnes - 100m Butterfly / 200m Butterfly / Medley Relay

12.) Laura Stephens - 200m Butterfly

13.) Lauren Cox - 100m Back / Medley Relay

14.) Lucy Hope - 4x100 Relay / 4x200 Relay

15.) Medi Harris - 4x100 Relay / 4x200 Relay

Men's Squad:

16.) Adam Peaty - 100m Breast / Medley Relays

17.) Alex Cohoon - 50m Free / 4x100 Relay

18.) Ben Proud - 50m Free

19.) Dan Jervis - 1500m Free / 800m Free

20.) Duncan Scott - 100m Free / 200m IM / 4x200 Relay / 4x100 Relay

21.) James Guy - 4x200 Relay / Medley Relay

22.) James Wilby - 100m Breast / 200m Breast

23.) Joe Litchfield - Medley Relay / 4x200 Relay

24.) Jonathon Marshall - 100m Back / Medley Relay

25.) Kieran Bird - 400m Free

26.) Luke Greenbank - 200m Back

27.) Matt Richards - 100m Free / 200m Free / 4x100 Relay / 4x200 Free / Medley Relays

28.) Max Litchfield - 400m IM

29.) Oliver Morgan - 100m Back / 200m Back / Medley Relays

30.) Tom Dean - 200m Free / 200m IM / 4x200 Relay 4x100 Relay / Medley Relays

In the end, I've dropped Jacob Peters to hit the 30 target. This would mean that we don't have anyone in the individual butterfly events but then we didn't have anyone in the event in Tokyo as Guy pulled out to prioritise the relays. 

Edited by Rafa Maciel

That 800m result takes away one potential complication for the selectors - despite great performances, Blocksidge hasn't got the OQT in any of her events so I think we can probably all agree that she won't be on the team for Paris.

Her focus for this year will be the European juniors but I don't think it will be long before she's on the squad for Worlds though. Going forward though, I kind of hope that she drops the 200 free and the 400 IM and focuses on the longer freestyle events. 

10 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

That 800m result takes away one potential complication for the selectors - despite great performances, Blocksidge hasn't got the OQT in any of her events so I think we can probably all agree that she won't be on the team for Paris.

Her focus for this year will be the European juniors but I don't think it will be long before she's on the squad for Worlds though. Going forward though, I kind of hope that she drops the 200 free and the 400 IM and focuses on the longer freestyle events. 

Will the team focus on relays allow her to entirely drop the 200m going forward. 

Edited by Orangehair43

37 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I also hope she drops the 200m, but perhaps she keeps the 400 IM as it's not inconceivable to see big drops to sub 4m 40 clockings in a few years time. She may also keep doing open water competitions where she dominated European juniors last year.

Disappointing from Evans going that slow in the finals, but I reckon they'll take the heat swim more into consideration for the relay which will get her on the team. As for Hanlon, I think this could be curtains for her. 

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Oh.... that 100 breast was slower than I was expecting. Still think both Evans and Hanlon get selected but it means we are needing a 00:52.69 in the 100 Free to confirm the medley relay

Oh no. A fair chance now we only have 1 of the 3 women’s relay. 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Disappointing from Evans going that slow in the finals, but I reckon they'll take the heat swim more into consideration for the relay which will get her on the team. As for Hanlon, I think this could be curtains for her. 

Maybe but could be a bit against the spirt of the policy to do that. 

Edited by Orangehair43