website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

13 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The freestyle relay was always one of the tougher standards to meet, particularly with Anderson not firing on all cylinders, but I don't think it's as extreme as you make out.

If we can get 2 athletes achieving the BST of 00:53.55 - Hopkin and Okaro or Anderson - then the remaining two swimmers need to be quicker than 00:54.50 to get within the 03:36.40 target time.

Even if Hopkin is the only swimmer to get the BST, then the three other swimmers would need to average 00:54.25 to qualify - that would still be new PB territory for most of them so not going to be easy but it isn't beyond reach. 

Hopefully Hopkin can push Okoro and Anderson tonight to reach 54 territory as she did the former this morning. The concern for me lies with Hindley, Hope and Colbert. I struggle to see either of them getting mid 54. Given her form this week Colbert looks the most likely to do so but it's gonna be extremely tight. Hopefully they do decide to send a relay team if they miss the time by a little bit given Anderson's illness. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

Hopefully Hopkin can push Okoro and Anderson tonight to reach 54 territory as she did the former this morning. The concern for me lies with Hindley, Hope and Colbert. I struggle to see either of them getting mid 54. Given her form this week Colbert looks the most likely to do so but it's gonna be extremely tight. Hopefully they do decide to send a relay team if they miss the time by a little bit given Anderson's illness. 

I was surprised how "slow" Colbert's 100m free PB was given what she's managed in previous relay swims. 

32 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

He will if he gets top 6 and McMillan or Turkey don't get top 4, they need at least 2 reserves for the relay. If it's a top 4 of Guy, Dean, Richards and Scott then the 2 most likely reserves would be Litchfield and Bird. 

Do they need two reserves? When they might have any reserve for Peaty. 

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

They should but they won’t. 

I'm not sure I see a route for Bird or Turley if the top 4 goes Richards Scott Guy Dean as we will have both Litchfield's in Paris anyway as cover....that's 6 guys even assuming you don't take Whittle (which I think he may go for cover for the 4x1).

Really hoping Amelie does something amazing in the 800m free tonight, and of course Evans to break the BR.

For the women's 100 free Hopkins is very far clear but got my fingers crossed Okaro goes a PB by a nice chunk to make the relay team (assuming they can make the time). I felt quite positive about Anderson's 100m this morning, hopefully she can go mid 54.

Edited by RussB

10 minutes ago, RussB said:

I'm not sure I see a route for Bird or Turley if the top 4 goes Richards Scott Guy Dean as we will have both Litchfield's in Paris anyway as cover....that's guys even assuming you don't take Whittle (which I think he may go for cover for the 4x1).

Really hoping Amelie does something amazing in the 800m free tonight, and of course Evans to break the BR.

For the women's 100 free Hopkins is very far clear but got my fingers crossed Okaro goes a PB by a nice chunk to make the relay team (assuming they can make the time). I felt quite positive about Anderson's 100m this morning, hopefully she can go mid 54.

Bird would still be a useful asset in Paris as I don't think the team wouldn't want to swim Dean, Scott and Richards in the heats and a team of Guy, Bird and the Litchfield brothers would easily make the final. I think there's room for both Bird and Whittle, but at the expense of Cox or Hanlon. 

The more I read the selection policy, the more I think people are worrying too much about the relays and the relay time.

I accept I could be wrong here, but for me the policy is pretty clear - if the top 4 collectively meet the time, they will go, no questions asked. That's even if Aquatics GB might not have chosen those specific swimmers themselves. Joe Litchfield is an example of that. He might not be their preferred candidate but he took the decision out of their hands.

The first paragraph after the relay selections says the following:

"Following the selection of athletes under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 additional nominations may be made at the complete discretion of the PD and the GB Head Coach. As well as other considerations, the PD and GB Head Coach may use performance against times listed in Table 1 as a guide to assist the exercise of their discretion. In the event the PD and GB Head Coach are unable to agree then the PD’s nomination decision shall be final."

There's nothing there that says they won't pick a relay team if they miss the time. There's just no guarantee that they will.

The women's 4x100m free missed the time at the British Champs in 21 and they still took part in Tokyo. The policy was slightly different in 21 so it's not exactly the same, but I think the result will be similar.

Hopefully the swimmers will take the decision out of the selectors hands anyway.

Personally, I will say this - if Jacob Whittle gets on the train, he's a lucky boy. He's had a pretty terrible week. Conversely, if Kieran Bird does not go, he's super unlucky.

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Bird would still be a useful asset in Paris as I don't think the team wouldn't want to swim Dean, Scott and Richards in the heats and a team of Guy, Bird and the Litchfield brothers would easily make the final. I think there's room for both Bird and Whittle, but at the expense of Cox or Hanlon. 

I think Jacob would be incredibly unfortunate if the selectors take Bird and not him if he beats Bird tonight. I don’t see why we would take Bird and Whittle in that scenario, would seem a bit excessive!

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Eh, that team could make the final but I'm not sure easily.

I can't see them only putting 1 of the final swimmers in the heats - in Tokyo they swam 3 of them. Same in Fukuoka. In Budapest they only swam 2 and they were much closer to not making the final.

So I think you bank on 2 of the big 4 in the heat and 2 substitutes.

6 minutes ago, RussB said:

I think Jacob would be incredibly unfortunate if the selectors take Bird and not him if he beats Bird tonight. I don’t see why we would take Bird and Whittle in that scenario, would seem a bit excessive!

Jacob would do well to beat Bird tonight, as Jacob didn't make the A final! I suppose it is possible that he does a quicker time in the B final.