website statistics
Jump to content

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024


 Share

Recommended Posts

Overall a very good squad and near enough what I expected. Glad we actually stayed true to the 30 athlete limit, was worried we might go under. Surprised we took both Whittle and McMillan as I didn't think we'd needed both for relay cover and felt we had good enough cover in other areas for both the 4x1 and 4x2. This has led to Cox harshly being left off as I felt she could've contended for a final spot, just shows how much 1 bad swim at the wrong time can mess up your whole season. I think this also means we see Dawson swimming all relay heats as I doubt that Osrin and Harris will be able to go under the minute mark for the medley and the mixed medley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Overall a very good squad and near enough what I expected. Glad we actually stayed true to the 30 athlete limit, was worried we might go under. Surprised we took both Whittle and McMillan as I didn't think we'd needed both for relay cover and felt we had good enough cover in other areas for both the 4x1 and 4x2. This has led to Cox harshly being left off as I felt she could've contended for a final spot, just shows how much 1 bad swim at the wrong time can mess up your whole season. I think this also means we see Dawson swimming all relay heats as I doubt that Osrin and Harris will be able to go under the minute mark for the medley and the mixed medley. 

I mean, Harris if she finds her backstroke form has been the form GBR female backstroker since the last Olympics - she has 6 of the top 7 times, all well under the minute. She's been quicker than either Cox or Dawson have been in that time. She just hasn't been that quick this year.

 

That being said, Dawson possibly only has the 100m and the medley. I wouldn't be sure that we'll go FMMF in the mixed this year. Think a MMFF is as likely. The differential is about the same right now between our back/fly swimmers.

Edited by Epic Failure
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean, Harris if she finds her backstroke form has been the form GBR female backstroker since the last Olympics - she has 6 of the top 7 times, all well under the minute. She's been quicker than either Cox or Dawson have been in that time. She just hasn't been that quick this year.

 

That being said, Dawson possibly only has the 100m and the medley. I wouldn't be sure that we'll go FMMF in the mixed this year. Think a MMFF is as likely. The differential is about the same right now between our back/fly swimmers.

Even more likely given our male fly swimmer will now have to be Joe or Jimmy.

 

the 100m backstroke for women was one of the disappointing events at trials with respect to times. Really had hoped Lauren and Medi would have been in low 59 form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RussB said:

Even more likely given our male fly swimmer will now have to be Joe or Jimmy.

 

the 100m backstroke for women was one of the disappointing events at trials with respect to times. Really had hoped Lauren and Medi would have been in low 59 form.

I mean, Jimmy did a 50 flat split in Tokyo. If he was in that form and if Medi/Kathleen could be in 59 mid we would still be in real medal contention!

 

It's worth noting that even if Peters had been at his personal best from last year, he's only 6.8s quicker than MacInnes was at trials, whereas Morgan was 7s quicker than Dawson. It wasn't just that Peters had a bad trials, it's also that all our fly options are relatively weak, male or female.

 

I give Medi about as much of a free pass from trials, much as I do Freya. In the circumstances, I was pleasantly surprised seeing her there at all. The bigger worry is that her backstroke seems to have been on the gradual decline over the last 18 months, as her freestyle has improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean, Jimmy did a 50 flat split in Tokyo. If he was in that form and if Medi/Kathleen could be in 59 mid we would still be in real medal contention!

 

It's worth noting that even if Peters had been at his personal best from last year, he's only 6.8s quicker than MacInnes was at trials, whereas Morgan was 7s quicker than Dawson. It wasn't just that Peters had a bad trials, it's also that all our fly options are relatively weak, male or female.

 

I give Medi about as much of a free pass from trials, much as I do Freya. In the circumstances, I was pleasantly surprised seeing her there at all. The bigger worry is that her backstroke seems to have been on the gradual decline over the last 18 months, as her freestyle has improved.

I love the optimism regarding Jimmy somehow getting back to doing a 50 flat split after what we just saw him do at trials… but for once my cup is half empty on this one, I just don’t see it. My hope with Peters was that it looked like he was on an upward trajectory over the past 2 years - continued improvements to Paris would have put us right there especially with a sub 59 female back leg.

 

so yes I believe you now have to go MMFF with Morgan leading off.

 

and yes Medi did so well just to compete given the circumstances, I meant it’s been a surprise her backstroke hasn’t seemed to have kicked on recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RussB said:

I love the optimism regarding Jimmy somehow getting back to doing a 50 flat split after what we just saw him do at trials… but for once my cup is half empty on this one, I just don’t see it. My hope with Peters was that it looked like he was on an upward trajectory over the past 2 years - continued improvements to Paris would have put us right there especially with a sub 59 female back leg.

 

so yes I believe you now have to go MMFF with Morgan leading off.

 

and yes Medi did so well just to compete given the circumstances, I meant it’s been a surprise her backstroke hasn’t seemed to have kicked on recently.

My previous comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

 

I'm certainly not expecting Jimmy to be in Tokyo form, although I do think his history has shown that he has the ability to rise to the occasion - in both 16 and 21, Jimmy was consistently splitting between 1-1.5 seconds quicker in the relays than his flat fly at trials. And obviously we know his prior commitment to the relays in dropping the 100 fly in Tokyo.

 

But add in the fact that Joe has actually not even taken part in the 100 fly at the British trials since he was a junior in 2016, I believe, and there's an argument that he might actually be able to drop further if that is his sole target this summer...

 

So I'm relatively confident that between them they can probably provide a split somewhere around 51. Which is what I would have expected from Jacob anyway.

 

Whilst I would love to have seen Jacob improve to world class level, he had stalled somewhat - his quickest time was still from the British Champs last year and in Fukuoka he was slower than he had been at Champs.

 

Basically, I'm not down on our chances with Jimmy/Joe as some people. Like, I don't think our chances are great but I don't think Jacob would have been a difference maker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lack of a world class fly specialist in both genders sinks us on all of the medley relays which is such a shame with Ollie and Adam being in good form and having Matt/Anna on the back end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...