website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

and now I missed the days when we couldn't watch this shit and just had the final result and I seriously mean it.

even the commentator(s) were surprised by the verdict of Shahbakhsh's fight. I know I am biased but the English commentator said it so many times that how the hell the bout is not finished after the 2nd round. 

I seriously hate watching this sport , even when I watch Rhythmic Gymnastics or freestyle skiing (sports i know nothing about) I can guess who is getting the better score but in boxing, you can think guy A completely dominated the match but then guy B gets all the scores from the refs.

14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and now I missed the days when we couldn't watch this shit and just had the final result and I seriously mean it.

even the commentator(s) were surprised by the verdict of Shahbakhsh's fight. I know I am biased but the English commentator said it so many times that how the hell the bout is not finished after the 2nd round. 

I seriously hate watching this sport , even when I watch Rhythmic Gymnastics or freestyle skiing (sports i know nothing about) I can guess who is getting the better score but in boxing, you can think guy A completely dominated the match but then guy B gets all the scores from the refs.

Now that artistic swimming has reformed it's scoring system I think it's fair to say that boxing has the worst judging of any Olympic sport.

I wouldn't be upset to see the sport dropped entirely for that reason (my preference would be for them to get the judging into shape, but... that doesn't seem to be happening)

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Now that artistic swimming has reformed it's scoring system I think it's fair to say that boxing has the worst judging of any Olympic sport.

I wouldn't be upset to see the sport dropped entirely for that reason (my preference would be for them to get the judging into shape, but... that doesn't seem to be happening)

Absolutely. 

I just watch CHULIACHEIEV vs FERNANDEZ GARCIA - 27:30 from KAZ judge. Seriousely? He was sleeping during the 2nd round at least.

I would say that Ukraine will get not more licenses with these AIBA affiliated judges.

3 hours ago, avlar said:

This 10-9 scoring system is absolutely useless at the 3-round distance. 

And of course so many sports implemented system where scores of such "judges" are to be discarded when removing the highest and the lowest marks.

I agree.

In this system there are only nine decisions to be made.

If two of them are very wrong the result is ruined.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

my point is. if you watch any sport for the first time. after few hours. or maximum few days you will have a pretty good idea about the officiating. you don't need to read the rules to know who is better or who will get the better score (except for close calls) but in boxing it's just random. 

I know some refs are corrupt and favor certain countries but I mostly think they are just very bad and don't care. they randomly give a 10-9 to someone. the officiating was always bad in amateur boxing and it's only getting worse and worse

Refs don’t give any scores. Judges do.

It’s a very hard sport to judge, and generally they do a good job. The majority of people watching on TV have no idea what they’re looking at. It most certainly isn’t random. 

10 points for winning a round take all the drama out of most 3rd rounds. That’s the biggest issue. That and a warning being too big of a punishment.

Maybe if some countries have the balls to leave the IBA the sport can revert back to point per blow scoring and stop trying to compete with the pro ranks. 

99% of “robbery” calls are just sore losers whinging IMO

Edited by dodge

28 minutes ago, dodge said:

Refs don’t give any scores. Judges do.

It’s a very hard sport to judge, and generally they do a good job. The majority of people watching on TV have no idea what they’re looking at. It most certainly isn’t random. 

10 points for winning a round take all the drama out of most 3rd rounds. That’s the biggest issue. That and a warning being too big of a punishment.

Maybe if some countries have the balls to leave the IBA the sport can revert back to point per blow scoring and stop trying to compete with the pro ranks. 

99% of “robbery” calls are just sore losers whinging IMO

It was obvious the 'points per blow' system was right - sure it needed tweaking (perhaps with extra buttons/points for combos and power shots) but the basic objectivity was clearly better than this pretendy nonsense, brought back, in my view quite deliberately to create corruption room.

Tomorrow I'm hoping on three Italian wins: Mesiano, Carini and Charaabi. In general I count on the minimum 2 QOT and I hope that Messiano will get it tomorrow at the 1st time. The Italian women's team seems to be in good shape here. Unfortunately, the men are struggling badly and there is a 99% probability that they will not gain any qualifications here.

Edited by copravolley