website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I think it might have been Rio. Possibly even London? Either way they had love score (per round) on the website

Last time out they had streaming, but no scores 

29 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Even the last olympics qualifier was better than this one, and that was held in 2 different countries a year apart.

I'm surprised that insidethegames aren't providing a live blog of results. They'd normally send someone to cover but not sure if the sale of the site last year has changed their approach to their coverage. 

Predictions- Part 2 (W50,W57,M51,M71,M92+ on page 5)

W60KG

Only three quotas here but I will stick with the same format as the other ones and pick the four semi-finalists and then predict who misses out at the end.

Bracket 1

My pick- Rimma Volossenko (3) :KAZ, Other contenders- Miroslava Jedinakova (10) :SVK, Camila Pineiro (14) :URU.

The draw has been kind to Rimma Volossenko and she should make the semi finals here. Her first couple of fights are very easy before meeting Camila Pinerio in her third fight. 2022 63kg European under 22 champion Miroslava Jedinakova should be waiting in a quarter final provided she beats Hanna Okhrei (19) :UKR. Jedinakova is an tricky opponent and I wouldn't rule out an upset here.

Bracket 2

My pick- Oh Yeon-ji (2) :KOR, Other contenders- Krisandy Rios (6) :VEN, Chelsey Heijnen (15) :NED.

Interesting opening round fight here between Krisandy Rios and Riza Pasuit (18) :PHI. Should be prove a good test for Rios before meeting former Asian champion Oh Yeonji in the last 16. Oh has the pedigree to cruise to a quota here but her recent form has been a bit dodgy. If she can come through against Rios then the winner of Laura Akram (29):PAKvs Anna Jenni (17) :SUI who are both capable boxers. Chelsey Heijnen should cruise through her first couple of fights but has struggled with consistency of late. I think Oh will come through here but both Rios and Heijnen could push her close.

Bracket 3

My pick- Agnes Alexiusson (4) :SWE, Other contenders- Alesia Mesiano (7) :ITA, Elida Kocharyan (8) :ARM, Jaismine (9) :IND.

Not the strongest bracket but should throw up some fascinating fights as a result. The closest fight will likely be Agnes Alexiusson vs Alesia Mesiano in the last 32 although Alexiusson does need to beat Kiria Tapia (21) :PUR first. I'd give the slight edge to Alexiusson but stylistically they are quite similar and this is the type of fight that home advantage could proves crucial. The winner will then face Elida Kocharyan which should also be a close fight. The top half of the bracket sees an opening fight between Jaismine and Ayaka Taguchi (13):JPN with Sara Beram (12) :CRO awaiting the winner. I don't know which of the three will come through but after a test against Loredana Marin (24) :ROU, they would then face a quarter final against Alexiusson, Mesiano or Kocharyan. There are too many evenly matched boxers in this bracket so not a chance do I get this one right but for me Alexiusson is the most talented.

Bracket 4

My pick- Shona Whitwell (1) :GBR, Other contenders- Donjeta Sadiku (5) :KOS,Lenka Bernardova (11) :CZE.

European heavy final bracket with the marquee matchup being Donjeta Sadiku against Whitwell. These two also matched up in their opening fight at European games and I picked Whitwell. Sadiku won a split on that occasion but I'm stubborn so I'm picking Whitwell again.  The winner should reach the quarter finals. 2022 European silver medallist Lenka Bernardova has a challenging path to be the other half of that quarter final with fights against Felicitas Ganglbauer (22) :GERand the one of Sheila Martinez (20) :ESP and Raykhona Kodirova (16) :UZB.

Quota Fights

Rimma Vollosenko vs Oh Yeon-ji,

Agnes Alexiusson vs Shona Whitwell.

There is no way these four end up being right but for me Oh should win if she gets this far and Whitwell is slightly more talented than Alexiusson. Vollosenko has multiple wins against Alexiusson in the past so I guess have the quotas as Oh Yeon-ji (2) :KOR, Shona Whitwell (1):GBR and Rimma Vollosenko (3) :KAZ. However there isn't much between the top 10 or so boxers here and a different set of matchups could lead to very different results. 

W54kg

Bracket 2

My pick- Sara Cirkovic (8) :SRB, Other contenders- Jennifer Lehane (4) :IRL, Zhaina Shekerbekova (5) :KAZ, Romane Moulai (10) :FRA, Scarlett Delgado (12) :CAN.

I've mentioned before how the top 20 or so bantamweights in the world are all of a very similar standard and we see that manifested straight off the bat. Romane Moulai comes into the French squad and has a very tough fight against Jennifer Lehane. I would expect Lehane to win but Sara Cirkovic awaits the winner in the next round. Lehane beat Cirkovic on a 3-2 split at Europeans but Cirkovic has added a European under 22 title to her 2022 youth world championship. 2022 Asian champion Zhaina Shekerbekova meets the winner in what also should be a standout fight. Scarlett Delgado should be waiting in the qualifying fight as long as she can beat Sara Svennson (21) :SWE in her opening fight. There is very little between Lehane, Cirkovic and Shekerbekova but I'm going to pick the youth to come through.

Bracket 2

My pick- Jutamas Jitpong (2) :THA, Other contenders- Johana Gomez (9) :VEN, Shera Mae Patricio (13) :USA, Sofia Robles (14) :ARG.

This one really shouldn't be in doubt. Jutamas Jitpong should be far too good for the various Americas heavy opposition that stands between her and the Olympics. Her first fight is against Johana Gomez who she beat at world champs last year. Former kickboxer Claudine Veloso (20):PHI or Mikoto Harada (17) :JPN then await before a qualifying fight against Sofia Robles, Shera Mae Patricio or Asya Ari (23) :GER

Bracket 3

My pick- Hsiao Wen Huang (1) :TPE, Other contenders- Sirine Charaabi (6) :ITA, Sandra Drabik (7) :POL.

World champion Hsiao Wen Huang looks to right the wrongs of a very controversial exit to Yuan Chang :CHN at Asian games. Draw could have been kinder but she is unlikely to be challenged by Denisse Bravo (29) :CHIor whichever she meets of Melissa Mortenson (15) :DEN or Im Aeji (22) :KOR. The other side of the bracket sees a highlight matchup between Sandra Drabik and Sirine Charaabi. Drabik comes into this competition with impressive early 2024 form but lost to Charaabi last November albeit that fight was in Italy, then again of course so will this one. Marta Lopez del Arbol (16) :ESP would then stand between them and a qualifying fight. Drabik is more talented and more likely to beat Huang but Charaabi is at home and I can feel like will win again here. I can't see her beating Huang though.

Bracket 4

My pick- Anastasia Kovalchuk (3) :UKR, Other contenders- Thi Kim Anh Vo (11) :VIE.

Anastasia Kovalchuk has struggles since winning 2022 Europeans but has got as good a draw as she could have asked for. She won't be challenged at all until a qualifying fight almost certainly against Thi Kim Anh Vo provided Vo can beat Estefani Almanzar (18) :DOM.