website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

So :CZE Tomas Machac started in doubles with 0 points in the world ranking before the Australian open. Paired up with :CHN Zhang Zhizhen and they already made it to semifinals. From 0 to 720 points and quick improve from nothing to about 120th place. And if they make it to the final, he will appx. gain Doubles positions around 60-70, a spot where is ranked in singles. This is really impressive. I think this connection will last....

[4] :USA Coco Gauff advances to her first career Australian Open semifinal, after defeating :UKR Marta Kostyuk 7-6 (6), 6-7 (3), 6-2. 12th Grand Slam match win in a row for her as well. 

What a horrible, extremely low-quality match, I wanted to shut my TV off but I couldn’t. Neither one could hold serve, Gauff’ kept producing untimely double faults, Kostyuk was complaining the majority of the points. Kostyuk was also up 5-1 in set one, so a big missed opportunity there to wrap it up in straight sets. But honestly, winning a match with 16 winners and 51 (!) unforced errors (compared to Kostyuk’s 39 winners and 56 unforced errors) pretty much tells you all you need to know. 

Up next the winner of [2] :BLR Sabalenka v. [9] :CZE Krejcikova

Edited by Josh

[1] :SRB Novak Djokovic is the first men’s semifinalist, as he defeats [12] :USA Taylor Fritz 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3! :clap:

Djokovic has now won 33 consecutive matches at the Australian Open (dating back to 2018, where he lost to Hyeon Chung in R4), and has also improved his H2H against Fritz to 9-0 in the process.