website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Quota Simulation (Version 2) Road to Paris 2024

145 quotas, 6 months out from Paris 2024, sounds good, but from a Canadian perspective it’s absolutely terrible. Although I was never expecting to match our Tokyo 2020 number (381, our highest ever) with the quotas being reduced significantly, there’s been a number of Olympic qualification events in which we’ve either underperformed or just barely failed to secure a quota. 

- Wrestling Worlds, we were expecting quotas in all 6 events, instead we ended up with none. 

- Ran Sevens Men’s Olympic Qualifier, lost 14-24 to United States in the final. 

- Women’s Volleyball Olympic Qualifying Tournament, finished at 5-2 along with Serbia but they took second spot over us as they had more points. 

- Rowing Worlds, Canada has been on a decline, but was expecting more than two quotas (somewhere between 3-4)

- Modern Pentathlon at the Pan Am Games, now normally I wouldn’t have high expectations for one of our worst sports but Kelly Fitzsimmons was actually in the lead heading into the laser run portion of the final (and in a really great position for one of two quotas, I believe she was over 20 points ahead of the second NORCECA athlete) but blew it with incredibly poor shooting :facepalm:

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

145 quotas, 6 months out from Paris 2024, sounds good, but from a Canadian perspective it’s absolutely terrible. Although I was never expecting to match our Tokyo 2020 number (381, our highest ever) with the quotas being reduced significantly, there’s been a number of Olympic qualification events in which we’ve either underperformed or just barely failed to secure a quota. 

- Wrestling Worlds, we were expecting quotas in all 6 events, instead we ended up with none. 

- Women’s Volleyball Olympic Qualifying Tournament, finished at 5-2 along with Serbia but they took second spot over us as they had more points. 

- Rowing Worlds, Canada has been on a decline, but was expecting more than two quotas (somewhere between 3-4)

- Modern Pentathlon at the Pan Am Games, now normally I wouldn’t have high expectations for one of our worst sports but Kelly Fitzsimmons was actually in the lead heading into the laser run portion of the final (and in a really great position for one of two quotas, I believe she was over 20 points ahead of the second NORCECA athlete) but blew it with incredibly poor shooting :facepalm:

Cross fingers for womens voleyball team. Good luck woth American wrestling QQT.

9 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Well we got 22 quotas as of right now,i'm not sure much more will be joining,could be the smallest team we ever send to a Summer olympics.

Men’s basketball team, another female athlete in modern pentathlon, a male athlete in modern pentathlon, men’s 3x3 basketball team, women’s 3x3 basketball team all have chances. Not to mention you have a bunch of athletes in athletics, and a couple in swimming that could qualify.

Edited by Josh

7 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Well we got 22 quotas as of right now,i'm not sure many more will be joining,could be the smallest team we ever send to a Summer olympics.

At the beginning of the year, I predicted Lithuania to qualify 61 athletes. The biggest factors will be whether or not you guys can qualify a men's basketball team, a men's 3x3 basketball team and a men's 4x200m relay in swimming. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Don't worry for your women's volleyball team, they will qualify in the end. Dutch volleyball women are masters in screwing up qualifications for the Games. Besides that, Canada simply has a better team with a few exceptional players, while the Dutch team no longer has any real stars like Sloetjes, De Kruijff or Flier.

Speaking of The Netherlands, already 142 quota! Depends on handball, football and volleyball women if we exceed the number of 200 athletes.

1 hour ago, CCB said:

Don't worry for your women's volleyball team, they will qualify in the end. Dutch volleyball women are masters in screwing up qualifications for the Games. Besides that, Canada simply has a better team with a few exceptional players, while the Dutch team no longer has any real stars like Sloetjes, De Kruijff or Flier.

Speaking of The Netherlands, already 142 quota! Depends on handball, football and volleyball women if we exceed the number of 200 athletes.

I don't have high hopes about the volleyball and football teams qualifying, but hopefully the handball team will be there!

If all three somehow qualify we could exceed our Tokyo squad probably, because we had no volleyball team then. I don't think we're losing any major quotas compared to last time.

And in the best case we will hopefully also add a womens archery team and 3x3 basketball team.