website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, y'all have kind of been leading the strict response in the West (which says a lot about the strong will of Slovakians I might add). Plus you locked down slums. I’m not saying either of those are wrong, I’m just arguing for balance between what seem to be the two very popular extremes in my own country (using other countries as an example). 

The quarantining of some Roma slums was arguably the best thing we did.

the one in Žehra is in absolutely critical situation, there was confirmed community spread in the whole ghetto. the locals do not follow the appointments at all...despite being quarantined and guarded by the police and army forces, they still gather outside of their homes in the street, nobody is isolated at home, they do not wear masks. don´t have any basic hygienical habits...

sorry but the complete isolation and quarantining of the ghetto and disallowing the locals to go to the neighborhood cities to shop and eventually spread the infection was the most sensible and only possible solution to avoid the total disaster, meanwhile the infection also appeared in some other Roma settlements in the country which were also locked.

(we have 1088 similar slums in the country, and many locals returned from GB in early March when we didn´t have the forced national quarantine for returning slovak citizens, they were just asked to isolate themseves at their homes...obviously these people didn´t do that, they continued to met their families and other people in the slums...result now we have a huge problem (the rule of forced quarantine in national facilities across the country were established only in the second part of March..now everybody entering the country (not living in 30km of the borders) have to be immediatelly placed in a national quarantne facility)

Everyday on the briefings here, Slovakia is given as an example. ;)

"We are dealing with the situation very good. In Europe we have the second lowest number of deaths, only after Slovakia, which are the only who have handled the crisis better than us."

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The Dutch are pretty lenient like California though. I was talking about the Spain’s, Czechia’s, and Slovakia’s of the world.

As I understand the mobility restrictions are not as severe in CZ and SK as in Spain.

I have a class mate who now lives in Barcelona with her ~4 month old son. It is not possible to take the children to the street, and indeed there were complaints because of that rule. Now the Spanish gov is planning to allow it from 27 April. On the other hand given the situation Spain is in (epidemic wise) maybe the ultra strictness is understandable somewhat.

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I feel like neither side is right here. We shouldn’t be like Europe where we don’t let kids go outside, and force everyone to stay in their homes, but we also shouldn’t just write everything experts say off. There needs to be a balance where people can work, and where people can be safe. These idiots will not help us reach that middle ground. California, Oregon, and Washington will be smart about this. I think the national infection rate will rise again, but only time will tell (and I hope time makes me look like a fool who was over cautious). If anything, we’ve proven that we’re not the proud, intelligent, informed, science believing nation we once were. The only positive is to this, is that Californian nationalism is on the rise.

In my opinion there is a bigger difference in the handling of this situation between european countries (Sweden on the one hand, Italy/Spain/France on the other hand), then between the different american states, so i am not sure how much sense it makes to lump all european countries together. This is almost like saying that european countries should take the approach that Florida and New York have taken as an example on how to deal with this pandemic (despite those two states having a completely different response to this situation).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

The quarantining of some Roma slums was arguably the best thing we did.

the one in Žehra is in absolutely critical situation, there was confirmed community spread in the whole ghetto. the locals do not follow the appointments at all...despite being quarantined and guarded by the police and army forces, they still gather outside of their homes in the street, nobody is isolated at home, they do not wear masks. don´t have any basic hygienical habits...

sorry but the complete isolation and quarantining of the ghetto and disallowing the locals to go to the neighborhood cities to shop and eventually spread the infection was the most sensible and only possible solution to avoid the total disaster, meanwhile the infection also appeared in some other Roma settlements in the country which were also locked.

(we have 1088 similar slums in the country, and many locals returned from GB in early March when we didn´t have the forced national quarantine for returning slovak citizens, they were just asked to isolate themseves at their homes...obviously these people didn´t do that, they continued to met their families and other people in the slums...result now we have a huge problem (the rule of forced quarantine in national facilities across the country were established only in the second part of March..now everybody entering the country (not living in 30km of the borders) have to be immediatelly placed in a national quarantne facility)

I don't think that what Slovakia did is all the extraordinary. I believe that Israel did something similar with some ultra-orthodox communities and all over Europe different hotspots (northern Italy, Heinsberg in Germany, some small city near Barcelona) have been "locked off" to contain the spread.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3323 Tests yesterday - 72 Positive confirmed cases

(25 clients and 11 employees from the Retirement House in Martin :facepalm:that´s now the second completely quarantined retirement house in the country after the one in Pezinok, police already investigating how the disease and spread entered there. Rest either Roma slums or repatriated people in national quarantine facilities, )

So 1161 Confirmed cases in Slovakia (+72 Yesterday), 3323 Tests Yesterday (44276 in Total)

11 Deaths (+1 Yesterday - yep, again from the retirement house in Pezinok, 7th already), 229 Fully recovered patients (+16 Yesterday)

212 Hospitalized, 8 in serious condition ICU beds, 2 in very critical under artificial lung ventilation

I stopped following the news about the coronavirus since a week ago, I mean I still read important news and specially advises but not much spending time on that, after 2 months this is too depressing. I accept the fact that this virus will stay with us for a very long time. more than a year maybe. right now all I can do is to be responsible, follow the advises 100% and taking care of my family. the worst part is I can't see my niece, :cry: because my sister works for healthcare system and we decided to keep the distance until this is over.

a little update about the situation, since yesterday life is almost back to normal in Tehran, except something like 70% are wearing mask ! high risk activities (schools, gatherings, sport) are still banned. still no barbershop so I had to give myself a haircut :d but traffic in Tehran is crazier than ever, according to stats 75% more than same time last year :yikes: why ? because people are using their own cars and not the public transports.

Iran had never been in a total lockdown, we had some strict restrictions only during new year holidays when most offices were naturally closed. those holidays had ended 16 days ago (still businesses were closed until a week ago and in Tehran until yesterday) so we were supposed to see some jump in the numbers right now but the numbers are still steady and even slowly they are going down ! :yikes: (someone with a magic pen ?)  we will see what will happen after a week or two. but my general feeling also is the situation is not as bad as a month ago.

I have to go to a hospital tomorrow and do some software check there for few hours :d  even though I was told the hospital is perfectly safe and is not in a critical situation as it was 45 days ago (the last time I went there) but still a hospital is the last place you want to go these days :p

Countries who have achieved more than 50% recovery rate for today based on the latest data on 19th April, 2020.

Top best recovery rate (These countries have recorded more than 50% recovery rate)

Country,
Other

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

New
Deaths

Total
Recovered