website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

12 minutes ago, LDOG said:

We already have something very similar with the existence of a team called "chinese taipei", so...

That doesn't answer my question.

Besides, Chinese Taipei can field a team at the Olympics while Crimea can not so it's not the same.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

That doesn't answer my question.

Besides, Chinese Taipei can field a team at the Olympics while Crimea can not so it's not the same.

I don't give a shit if Crimea is russian or ukranian or if Taiwan is chinese or not. The point I was trying to make is that the politics are already there at the olympics, even in the simple name of a team. 

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

You do know why the team is called Chinese Taipei, right?

Of course I know why. I'm not some 20 year old millenial who doesn't even know where Taiwan is located.

Still nobody has answered my very simple question :p This tells me the political double standards are very much alive :coffee:

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If the Olympic Games were apolitical athletes wouldn’t not represent political entities, hear the song of a political entity upon winning an event, or parade under the flag of a political entity. Athletes would not be allowed to trade pins representing political entities, wear a uniform that displays the colors/flag/symbols of a political entity, or speak in any manner about a political entity. 

Yes, but the athletes are all equal on these things. From the best to the worst, from the richest to the poorest, everyone is allowed to have such things (well, unless you are russian of course). It doesn't matter, where you come from, or what you're backstory is. But not all athletes are allowed to say or do the messages they want.

Politics destroyed two Olympic Games. Or more like three if you count Munich. And even now, some people want to destroy another one with a boycott (which will thankfully never happen). Don't open the door to more politics at the Games because no matter what your intentions are, the long-term effects might not be what you want to achieve.

At the very least the 1968 Black Power salute was one big moment and that was it. I can't agree with it at the Games, but hey, 1968 was a shit year and it was one moment. This isn't that. It's literally everywhere and it's inescapable at big international sport events where it doesn't belong to. You are not entitled to use international events for activism, the Olympic Games isn't the NFL, it's not your playground. 

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Of course I know why. I'm not some 20 year old millenial who doesn't even know where Taiwan is located.

Still nobody has answered my very simple question :p This tells me the political double standards are very much alive :coffee:

I have answered:

21 minutes ago, LDOG said:

IMO you can protest anything you want, but whether something will come from it is a different issue. 

My posture is: As long as it's not an aggression towards another athlete or official, something impeding the normal running of the competition or something that breaks the law in the host country, you're free to do or say whatever.

9 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yes, but the athletes are all equal on these things.

So equal rights aren’t a political position then, thus acts that call for equality are apolitical?

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yes, but the athletes are all equal on these things. From the best to the worst, from the richest to the poorest, everyone is allowed to have such things (well, unless you are russian of course). It doesn't matter, where you come from, or what you're backstory is. But not all athletes are allowed to say or do the messages they want.

Faroe Islands, Macau, South Ossetia, Sahrawi Republic, Bougainville…

14 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

It doesn't matter, where you come from, or what you're backstory is. But not all athletes are allowed to say or do the messages they want.

Unless you want to compete as an athlete in a gendered event, or earn a Continental quota place, or be awarded tripartite invitation, or be a member of the Refugee Team…

16 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

But not all athletes are allowed to say or do the messages they want.

Who gets to decide what messages are okay? Is regulating speech and/or actions apolitical?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

So equal rights aren’t a political position then, thus acts that call for equality are apolitical?

Faroe Islands, Macau, South Ossetia, Sahrawi Republic, Bougainville…

Unless you want to compete as an athlete in a gendered event, or earn a Continental quota place, or be awarded tripartite invitation, or be a member of the Refugee Team…

Who gets to decide what messages are okay? Is regulating speech and/or actions apolitical?

Back at the start of the 80s the South African Apartheid government used to squeal about keeping politics out of sport.

Forty years later people on both sides of the argument now accept the sporting boycott of South Africa was very important in stopping the subjugation of black people in the country and allowing Mandela to become President,