website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Team Sizes

34 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

A 19 years old whit only 2 WC race can't go the Olympics... they aren't a talent show for young sportman :p 

Not a talent show, but it's not unrealistic to think someone like Vinatzer is a decent World Cup athlete in 4 years from now, and having this experience now might greatly improve the chances of him keeping his focus at the next Olympics, instead of losing it because, well, it's the Olympics (like always happens with more than just a few first time Olympians). It'd be different if Italy had 4-5 spots and 4-5 much much better athletes in his discipline, but do they? (definitely not Borsotti)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Not a talent show, but it's not unrealistic to think someone like Vinatzer is a decent World Cup athlete in 4 years from now, and having this experience now might greatly improve the chances of him keeping his focus at the next Olympics, instead of losing it because, well, it's the Olympics (like always happens with more than just a few first time Olympians). It'd be different if Italy had 4-5 spots and 4-5 much much better athletes in his discipline, but do they? (definitely not Borsotti)

I think that the Olympics aren't an event for do some experience but a "prize" for the 4 years before it. So, why add Vinatzer in the team and why he must do the team event? It's a big shams!

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

I think that the Olympics aren't an event for do some experience but a "prize" for the 4 years before it. So, why add Vinatzer in the team and why he must do the team event? It's a big shams!

Adding him to the team for his individual events: logical and a smart choice.

Letting him do the team event: wait what? That's not the best idea ever. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Adding him to the team for his individual events: logical and a smart choice.

Letting him do the team event: wait what? That's not the best idea ever. 

Apparently he will do the team event too.. I haven't idea why our federation is so stupid! It's the only case in our Olympic team... 

Yeah, I'm against putting people in the team just because they are young and automatically "perspective" (like Prock, Vinatzer). They should wait.

@heywoodu Last week you complained about Robatscher getting selected instead of some youth, and yet this weekend Robatscher earned Italy's first podium since before that other girl was born. :p

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Yeah, I'm against putting people in the team just because they are young and automatically "perspective" (like Prock, Vinatzer). They should wait.

@heywoodu Last week you complained about Robatscher getting selected instead of some youth, and yet this weekend Robatscher earned Italy's first podium since before that other girl was born. :p

Yeah that was poor timing :p 

Still in general I'm in favour of letting people get this hugely valuable experience, especially if you've got the quota anyway and the other option is either rejecting it (meh) or sending someone older who's barely better. 

I highly doubt that Vinatzer will be in the team event (there's Gross, Moelgg, Tonetti,...). He's the 4th slalom skier and there were only 3 other possible choiches:

- reject another quota (imo a stupid choice)

- send an old guy like Razzoli (imo also stupid)

- send someone like Maurberger, a 22-23yo who is doing well in Europa Cup...but in this way he would have skipped some races in that competition and lost the chance to win a nominal quota for the next world cup. 

So sending a 18 yo to get experience is not bad at all.