website statistics
Men's Tennis ATP Tour 2023
Posted
8 hours ago, Josh said:

Adelaide International 2 ATP 250- Adelaide, Australia :AUS | January 9- 14, 2023:

Soonwoo Kwon :KOR is the men’s singles champion here in Adelaide, defeating Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut :ESP 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (4)

Before today, last lucky loser to reach the final of an ATP tournament was :ITA Lorenzo Sonego (October 2020 in Vienna).

Last lucky loser to win an ATP title was :ITA Marco Cecchinato (April 2018 in Budapest).

Even for qualifiers, it's rare to accomplish this. I think last qualifier to reach the final of an ATP tournament is :CZE Jiri Vesely (February 2022 in Dubai) and last qualifier to win an ATP title is :ARG Juan Manuel Cerundolo (February 2021 in Cordoba).

Men's Tennis ATP Tour 2023
Posted

A quite rare situation in Adelaide this week. In the final qualifying round, :KOR Kwon Soon-woo lost to :CZE Tomas Machac. However, he got in the main draw as a lucky loser and was drawn against... Machac in the first round. This time he won and qualified to the second round, where he defeated no2 seed :ESP Pablo Carreno Busta earlier today.

Women's Tennis WTA Tour 2022
Posted
2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Wow, she beat Bronzetti 6-2 6-4 to win the title and moves up now from her current ranking of 239 to a new career-high of 143! :GRE:bowdown:

Very important title for her, because she will soon have to defend second round (main draw) points from US open and most likely she won't play at all. At the moment she is fourth or fifth alternative in qualifying and there are less than 48 hours until the start of the tournament.

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2022
Posted
5 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

what's the tournament held in Serbia that Australian athletes will participate in next month as Serbian president mentioned ? :d

World athletics indoor championships is in Belgrade, from 18-20 March.

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted

Djokovic has withdrawn from Indian Wells. He is the first very big name to withdraw in the men's tournament, already plenty have done so in the women's one, including Barty and Osaka.

I don't know if Djokovic intends to play in the ATP finals. If he does then he might play in Paris masters before, but if he doesn't then his season is probably over.

As for Luisa Stefani, whose injury was mentioned here, she had knee surgery to treat it and the long and hard rehabilitation work has started.

Posted
11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Garcia is awful, it is hard to imagine she was top 10 and had that winning streak in Asia back in 2017 (was it in 2017?)

Yes, it was in 2017. I think her career high ranking was in 2018 and since then every year for her is worse than the previous. She looks completely unmotivated at every match she plays except those held in France.  

Posted
1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Why the last?

Because of some disagreements between the tournament organisers and WTA. What happened is not very clear but tournament director said they had decided not to continue before this year's tournament.

It looks like tournament organisers didn't like that WTA rules were stricter than local rules and this didn't allow interaction between players and spectators. The tournament director said players weren't allowed to attend an anniversary event celebrating 25 years of the tournament. Or they aren't happy with the tournament moving to middle September from middle to end of October, when it usually took place.

WTA Luxembourg Open Axed Over Disagreements Between Tour And Organisers

Tennis ITF US Open 2021
Posted
22 hours ago, thepharoah said:

fuck these medical TOs , a medical on a break point !

As for this, according to grand slam rules, when a player is bleeding it is compulsory for the umpire to immediately call the doctor. The doctor will take care of the wound and decide if a medical time out has to be called. That means Raducanu couldn't continue playing, even if she wanted to.

Tennis ITF US Open 2021
Posted
2 hours ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Luísa :( sad moment

Very sad. It looked very nasty. She was in the form of her life in recent months and her partnership with Dabrowski already had great results, despite being together for a short time. Let's hope it isn't as serious as it looked.

I was negatively surprised that the umpire let the point continue with an injured player on the ground.

Tennis ITF US Open 2021
Posted

Just look how many similarities Sakkari’s run in US open and Roland Garros have.

She beat a Ukrainian player in the first round. Kostyuk in US open, Zavatska in RG.

She defeated two grand slam singles champions in each. Kvitova and Andreescu in US open, Kenin and Swiatek in RG.

She defeated a grand slam doubles champion. Mertens in RG and Siniakova in US open.  

She beat the defending champion. Swiatek in RG, Andreescu wasn’t exactly a defending champion in US open, but she was still defending her 2019 points.

She survived a tight three setter. Against Andreescu in US open, against Mertens in RG.

She defeated her quarterfinal opponent with exactly the same score, 6-4 6-4. Against Pliskova in US open, against Swiatek in RG.

In the end, she was beaten in the semifinals of both tournaments. 

7 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I agree with this opinion. But their combined ranking should be 146 which gives them descent chances. Let's see. Anyways, can 2 pair from 1 country enter mixed doubles?

Yes, a country can have up to two mixed doubles pairs. With 146 combined ranking though, will be very hard to make it. Probably anything more than 60 will not be enough, as long as every available pair registers to play.

18 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I have no idea. I was also shocked. Next in the line should have been :HUN Balasz and :SVK Martin. But COC has confirmed that they recieved the invitation from ITF for Tomáš Mácháč and they accepted it. Happened today.... I guess ITF has been with the invitation what they want. Or I was thinking whether after withdrawals, they may be contacting countries that haven't qualified anyone yet. Which would perfectly fit to Macháč. All non qualified players in front of him are from countries that have already qualified at least one player. Except :AUT where Novak refused .... :CZE also refused from Veselý on the other hand .... So I am not sure really how but very happy cause he can also play mixed doubles with his GF Siniaková. 

It will be very difficult for them to make the combined ranking cut in mixed doubles, despite Siniakova's high ranking in doubles. Of course, we have to see which players will decide to play mixed doubles, but with two wins you get two chances to medal, therefore I think a lot of top players will be tempted to play.   

5 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Apparently ITF did not even bother to respond to our federation question in the Lukáš Klein case :lol: seeing all the withdrawals they probably did not even started to investigate if he fullfiled the DC criterias. I believe when they found in our email the sentence kid want to play they immediately just confirmed his spot :p

I think ITF gave exceptions from Davis cup/BJK cup rule, probably because of covid. For example, I know Rybakina had that problem, but she is allowed to compete.