website statistics

Poll 15/100 | Which mixed gender event are you most excited to watch at Tokyo?

Poll 15/100  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which mixed gender event(s) are you most excited for at Tokyo?

• Mixed Doubles (Table Tennis)
    • Mixed Doubles ( Tennis)
    • Mixed Team (Judo)
    • Mixed 4 * 400 m Relay (Athletics)
    • Mixed Team Shooting (Trap/Rifle/Pistol)
    • Mixed 4 *100 Medley (Swimming)
    • Mixed Team Recurve (Archery)
    • Mixed Relay (Triathlon)
    • Mixed Doubles (Badminton)

46 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Interesting! I never thought about it.

This makes aerobic gymnastics the only sport I know of that covers all of these categories.

1) There are gender-specific events: individual male and individual female;
2) There's a mixed pair event;
3) Trios, groups, dance and step events are open to any gender.

There was a mixed synchro trampoline event at the early World Championships ins the 1960s, but it has long been discontinued.

Any other "open" events in sports you know of?

Sailing and shooting used to have some open gendered events, but mostly not anymore (at least at the Olympics). There is also netball. Though I'm not sure how it works exactly, it is either open or mixed, I believe.

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Sailing and shooting used to have some open gendered events, but mostly not anymore (at least at the Olympics). There is also netball. Though I'm not sure how it works exactly, it is either open or mixed, I believe.

Netball is women only from what I know. Korfball is mixed, but not open. Flying Disc is also mixed, but not open. Air Sports has events that are open.

Wheelchair Rugby is open from what I know. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Interesting! I never thought about it.

This makes aerobic gymnastics the only sport I know of that covers all of these categories.

1) There are gender-specific events: individual male and individual female;
2) There's a mixed pair event;
3) Trios, groups, dance and step events are open to any gender.

There was a mixed synchro trampoline event at the early World Championships ins the 1960s, but it has long been discontinued.

Any other "open" events in sports you know of?

in Wintersports, Natural Track Luge doubles are an "open" competition (and has already happened that a few actual pairs were male + female* even at the highest level -talking of world championships)...

*the last one, it was Slovenia 3/4 years ago, if I remember well (but the Country might be wrong, I should check)...

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Skeet event in Barcelona 1992: Olympic Champion, a Chinese woman (Zhang Shan)...

after that, ISSF decided to launch the women's only events and end the "open" era...

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Netball is women only from what I know. Korfball is mixed, but not open. Flying Disc is also mixed, but not open. Air Sports has events that are open.

Wheelchair Rugby is open from what I know. 

normally, Motorsports classes are "open", too...