website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Rio 2016 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

Just now, LDOG said:

Oh, now I see. Yes, you're right it's ambiguous. Obviously it should be interpreted as "all medals in both marathon events will be won by african nations"

Also this one suffers from something similar: "80- At least 4 matches, in both the Women's and Men's Tournament, will be decided in a penalty shoot-out." Obviously it means 4 between both tournaments, not 4 in each one, but it could be taken that way.

I'll try correct both now. Sorry for the two users that already posted their bets (but anyway vlad will have to edit his post at some point because he used more than double the points available).

Thank you, because in this specific case I was honestly thinking it meant that the only nation(s) winning a medal in both events would be African nations, so I'm glad to know the other meaning was meant :d 

And yes, I hadn't taken a look at all questions yet, but you're right about question 80 as well. You could say "At least 4 football matches" instead of namen men's/women's...just a suggestion :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on a positive note: when first starting to discuss about this contest I totally missed the thing about having X points to distribute, but it was a very nice surprise to read that in the rules because I love it! It gives different weight to different questions so everyone can try and use their "strong points"  :hearts:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 4 minutos, dcro said:

I noticed one error in sprint canoeing, It says lane 9, but there is no lane 9 in Olympics.

That one was suggested by hckosice, complain to him :p

Got it. Corrected.

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

I noticed one error in sprint canoeing, It says lane 9, but there is no lane 9 in Olympics.

Damn it, I was already planning on answering "No" with 10 points :evil:

By the way, there are other ones that could be taken as ambiguous (me being aware of it beforehand) but won't be corrected for several reasons:

8- Netherlands will win more silver medals than any other color.---> it means that NED will more silver medals than Gold or Bronze ones, not that NED will win more silvers than Golds + Bronzes

17- Spain will win more than one medal in all team sports combined. ---> Team Sports = Football, Basketball, Hockey, Handball, Waterpolo, Rugby Sevens, Volleyball and Beach Volleyball. That is, all "pure" team sports, that don't have individual variants of them. Naturally, I can't clarify this in the bet because it would make it too long, I'll have to trust the users in this one.

60- The whole Boxing program will result in at least 8 bouts decided before the end of the 3 reglamentary rounds. ---> walkovers DON'T count. only TKO/RSC and such.

65- There will be a crash (between two or more riders) in either the Men's or Women's Final. ---> We consider "crash" a collision between two or more riders. Let's say, if two different riders just fall by themselves -without colliding with any others- then the answer is still "no".

On 14. 7. 2016 at 16:24, dcro said:

On 14. 7. 2016 at 16:30, LDOG said:

That one was suggested by hckosice, complain to him :p

Got it. Corrected.

nah, usually they used all 9 lanes in canoeing sprint at the olympics untill London, I thought London was only an exception because Eton Dorney wasn´t quite wide...but maybe yes they just changed the rules, in fact I can´t find any information how it will be in Rio...

but however, even if there only 5 lanes, everyone should get the point about what Is the question..at least I hope :d

hace 1 hora, wpwells said:

Anything listed as an and/or needs to be changed to either an "and" or an "or" as those describe two different outcomes.

No more changes can be done, sorry.

I think everyone more or less understands that in such bets the meaning is that one of the two needs to happen for the condition to be fullfilled. Sorry if it's not proper english though.

6 minutes ago, LDOG said:

No more changes can be done, sorry.

I think everyone more or less understands that in such bets the meaning is that one of the two needs to happen for the condition to be fullfilled. Sorry if it's not proper english though.

I didn't understand that when I was making my picks. It's not just ambiguous, it's literally describing two different outcomes. If you mean that one of the two needs to happen for the condition to be fulfilled, then it should be as simple as changing "and/or" to just read "or"

hace 1 minuto, wpwells said:

I didn't understand that when I was making my picks. It's not just ambiguous, it's literally describing two different outcomes. If you mean that one of the two needs to happen for the condition to be fulfilled, then it should be as simple as changing "and/or" to just read "or"

yes, I realized the "and" is superfluous, but anyway... I don't think anyone can get confused with that. I don't know why we added the "and" to be honest, but sorry.