website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ugh, just shut up for once. You do realize that no matter when I choose to watch the episodes, they are the same length as your average television episode. It took me 10 hours to watch that season. It still would have taken me 10 hours had those episodes been spread out over 10 weeks.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/short-form-video-quibi-ficto

According to this the short attention span generation has room to improve though. 10 minute episodes will render 10 hours of watching TV improbable ;)

The buzz is real, Brad Pitt received an Emmy nomination for 2 minutes of screen appearance :p

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/brad-pitt-emmy-nomination-saturday-night-live-fauci-jennifer-aniston-a9642791.html

Just now, Monzanator said:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/short-form-video-quibi-ficto

According to this the short attention span generation has room to improve though. 10 minute episodes will render 10 hours of watching TV improbable ;)

The buzz is real, Brad Pitt received an Emmy nomination for 2 minutes of screen appearance :p

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/brad-pitt-emmy-nomination-saturday-night-live-fauci-jennifer-aniston-a9642791.html

Quibi is a massive failure and joke in the US at the moment. The episodes are too short to interest anyone. I personally hate the entire idea myself.

People have been nominated for sketch appearances on SNL before, so that’s not really new.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Quibi is a massive failure and joke in the US at the moment. The episodes are too short to interest anyone. I personally hate the entire idea myself.

People have been nominated for sketch appearances on SNL before, so that’s not really new.

But Netflix is also doing these 12, 15 minute episodes? Let's face it, this is the future dictated by the short attention span culture. The shows will be judged not by its content but the run time sooner rather than later. Days of 30 minute time slot with 8 minutes of ad breaks are over.

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But Netflix is also doing these 12, 15 minute episodes? Let's face it, this is the future dictated by the short attention span culture. The shows will be judged not by its content but the run time sooner rather than later. Days of 30 minute time slot with 8 minutes of ad breaks are over.

Not that I’m aware of. Netflix is just like traditional TV, expect that it’s a streaming platform.

No, people aren’t going to judge television by the length of an episode, over the quality of the content. You say some truly idiotic statements sometimes. 

I think you’re in a small minority of people if you’re sad advertisements are gone :p

You know that TV shows with 30 minute episodes, actually have 30 minute episodes (without interruption) on streaming platforms (assuming they were made for that platform, and not traditional TV channels).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not that I’m aware of. Netflix is just like traditional TV, expect that it’s a streaming platform.

No, people aren’t going to judge television by the length of an episode, over the quality of the content. You say some truly idiotic statements sometimes. 

I think you’re in a small minority of people if you’re sad advertisements are gone :p

You know that TV shows with 30 minute episodes, actually have 30 minute episodes (without interruption) on streaming platforms (assuming they were made for that platform, and not traditional TV channels).

https://www.gq.com/story/tv-shows-are-too-long-now

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/long-episodes-too-much-tv-millions-of-screens-tv-podcast-1202213432/

You are taken hostage for 65 minutes, sir!

Short attention span will make those 10, 15 minute episodes mandatory in the next 15-20 years IMO.

It's like replacing individual 20km with super sprints in biathlon! People can only watch biathlon for 15 minutes, not 90! :evil:

38 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Days of 30 minute time slot with 8 minutes of ad breaks are over.

Yes, I'm missing those ads while watching an uninterrupted show as much as the smell of horse's shit on the village road while traveling with a car on a highway.

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Yes, I'm missing those ads while watching an uninterrupted show as much as the smell of horse's shit on the village road while traveling with a car on a highway.

In Poland we didn't have the ad breaks on public TV though so it's not like we have the same experience as US audience. Plus the ad breaks on private channels have changed a lot over years, Now we have a 120 minute movie with like 2 ad breaks that last 10-12 minutes instead of 5 ad breaks that lasted 5 minutes in the early 00s IIRC.

I don't really get your point. I mean there is a difference between two breaks of 10 minutes and five breaks of 5 minutes, but there is even bigger difference with having any breaks and having no breaks. It's not the matter of short attention, it's a matter of not wasting time and some kind of liberty.

In fact, the only technical difference between Netflix and DVD (and, for people at my age and older, VHS) is that Netflix doesn't take any space on your shelf/wardrobe/wherever you keep it.

7 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I don't really get your point. I mean there is a difference between two breaks of 10 minutes and five breaks of 5 minutes, but there is even bigger difference with having any breaks and having no breaks. It's not the matter of short attention, it's a matter of not wasting time and some kind of liberty.

In fact, the only technical difference between Netflix and DVD (and, for people at my age and older, VHS) is that Netflix doesn't take any space on your shelf/wardrobe/wherever you keep it.

My point is that in 10-15 years 60 minute TV episodes will be gone. I'm not even talking about 90 minute episodes because they're on the verge of extinction anyway. Feature-lenght TV shows are running on fumes, no matter whether it's TV or streaming platforms.

24 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

My point is that in 10-15 years 60 minute TV episodes will be gone. I'm not even talking about 90 minute episodes because they're on the verge of extinction anyway. Feature-lenght TV shows are running on fumes, no matter whether it's TV or streaming platforms.

You said you haven't watched "Game of Thrones" (neither have I). But I assume you also haven't seen "The Crown" or "The Last Kingdom". Well, these episodes are about an hour long. And they do have success. As well as some TV series in Poland like "Belfer" or "Mały Zgon".