website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans Thread (2016 & 2017)

heywoodu

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Decision delayed to the weekend.

As expected I guess. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Furthermore, the IOC has called on WADA to extend the mandate of McLaren to communicate the names of Russian athletes implicated in the report and the alleged manipulation of the doping tests performed by the Sochi Laboratory to the respective IFs and, where appropriate, to the IOC, in order to "allow them to take swift action". 

This will be interesting and will likely be Russia's best hope to compete at the games

vor 1 Minute schrieb JoshMartini007:

Furthermore, the IOC has called on WADA to extend the mandate of McLaren to communicate the names of Russian athletes implicated in the report and the alleged manipulation of the doping tests performed by the Sochi Laboratory to the respective IFs and, where appropriate, to the IOC, in order to "allow them to take swift action". 

This will be interesting and will likely be Russia's best hope to compete at the games

In short-term means yes, but long-term?

If McLaren has enough time to reveal everything, this will be even worse for Russia. In his report he already said, that he could only scratch the surface of all issues because of lack of time. 

3 hours ago, nenad said:

I always get that response that of course not all British and Americans are clean but there isn't no state sponsored doping. And I'm failing to see ANY of  high profile athletes

from these countries getting bans. Are they just more sophisticated or there is something else to it?

It is really very simple, the relevant authorities in the UK - I can't speak for the US - simply do not condone the use of drugs and take a hardline against those who do use them. In contrast the Russian authorities apparently not only condone it but actively participate in it.

It would be very difficult for a high profile athlete in the UK to getaway with doping because of the frequency with which they are tested both in and out of competition. One of the common complaints from our athletes is the frequency with which they are tested compared with many other countries and the constant need to provide the testers with details of where they will be so that they can be tested at any time. That is the frustration that British and I dare say athletes from many other countries feel when they comply with the rules but there is either laxity or complete disregard for the rules in some countries. Of course, the case of Russia, and there may be others, goes far beyond even that.

I said that all British and American athletes are not clean because there are always likely to be a few bad apples. I suppose the most high profile British athlete to be banned would be sprinter Dwain Chambers who the BOC banned from all Olympic competition until WADA overruled them. As for the Americans if you've failed to see any of their high profile athletes being banned you haven't been paying much attention. I even mentioned one name , i.e. Justin Gatlin in my previous post.

To those that might question USADA: Did anyone notice what happened last week to Brock Lesnar.  Biggest name in combat sports.   Well anyone have any doubt that if second sample is back positive then he will be suspended even though he makes loads of money for everyone

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Though in this case, you're putting the criminal in jail, together with innocent family members. 

It's simply an incredibly complicated situation. Personally I would be in favour of federations/officials (including from the Ministry) being completely banned, there is absolutely no reasoning to allow someone like Mutko to have any affair in sports whatsoever anymore. He should be done, forever.

However, there are good reasons to let a decent number of athletes compete under the Olympic flag. Not the Russian flag, because thanks to people like Mutko, waving the Russian flag around in Rio is an insult to 200 other nations, but there are definitely Russians who should compete in Rio I think. 

I think having athletes compete under the Olympic flag is an acceptable compromise.  I'm really not unsympathetic to the clean athletes, I just think it's basically a choice between the clean Russian athletes and clean athletes from everywhere else.  However, I also think banning the whole country would send a message not only to other national federations, but also other athletes.  Basically, if you see something say something.  Otherwise you could be next.  But I will say, if they take a hardline against Russia, they need to start being tough against everyone else.  For example, Gatlan should not be able to compete anymore.  

NOCs are suspended for tamer reasons. If state-sponsored doping is not met with the harshest response available let's just call it quits and wait for pokemon go tournaments to be televised. Sucks for the clean Russians, but it was their state letting them down. 

51 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I think having athletes compete under the Olympic flag is an acceptable compromise.  I'm really not unsympathetic to the clean athletes, I just think it's basically a choice between the clean Russian athletes and clean athletes from everywhere else.  However, I also think banning the whole country would send a message not only to other national federations, but also other athletes.  Basically, if you see something say something.  Otherwise you could be next.  But I will say, if they take a hardline against Russia, they need to start being tough against everyone else.  For example, Gatlan should not be able to compete anymore.  

Gatlin served his suspension.  He's tested just like everyone else.   Whether the doping violation should warrant life time ban is another question.   But even then it wouldn't be done retroactively

23 minutes ago, carivan said:

NOCs are suspended for tamer reasons. If state-sponsored doping is not met with the harshest response available let's just call it quits and wait for pokemon go tournaments to be televised. Sucks for the clean Russians, but it was their state letting them down. 

Who says your level 51 Raichu isn't doped?

Spoiler

Apart from that of course I agree with your post. People seem to think this situation should be treated like any other doping situation, but this, state-sponsored doping, is a completely different level.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 godziny temu, tigersay napisał:

And don't you think, that all that story can be simple fairy tale? Through all the season the same athletes(do we talk about people who take part in not only one competition, right?) did tests in foreign countries in competitions, had top results and weren't caught. I have mentioned earlier that even now we don't have proofs for that "wonderful strategy" of FSB, and also FSB is made at first so clever and so stupid later. Sorry, I can hardly believe it.

facts and statistics are fairy tale? Why they would make fairy tales about Russia and not Turkey or China. Maybe you hear fairy tales in Russia, it`s more probable.

Maybe it`s time to face facts dear friend and face consequences

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it