website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Oh that was fun! I had about enough of this horseshit talking about how united the Democratic Party is. Everyone just witnessed in beautiful fashion why this party is a failure. Warren was the top performer by far, and is now the only candidate I believe to be capable of uniting the country. Sanders was in his element, and held off repeated attacks from “moderates” very well. Biden pulled a Cersei and walked right around the Clegane-Bowl that was Bloomberg v. Sanders. Buttigieg and Klobachar both had a rough night, and then fought each other! 

This party either nominates Warren, or loses the election. If there’s a possibility she can win, she has won my vote. I’d love to see Sanders pull through, but these “moderates” that “hate” Trump, won’t support Sanders against Trump. It looks like we’ll have a brokered convention, and I predict madness.

The convention is on my birthday, it will be a fun present :)

Just got my voting notice! California primary starts in 2 days. I guess it’s time to make a decision :mumble:

Edit: Oh fuck, I’m not registered as a Democrat. The party might bar me from voting in the primary. Whelp, here’s to hoping I can get that straightened out at the polls :fingers:

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Just got my voting notice! California primary starts in 2 days. I guess it’s time to make a decision :mumble:

Edit: Oh fuck, I’m not registered as a Democrat. The party might bar me from voting in the primary. Whelp, here’s to hoping I can get that straightened out at the polls :fingers:

Now that's some preparation.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now that's some preparation.

Well, California has always been a state that’s endorsed total democracy. Apparently they’ve changed those rules regarding the presidential race now. I hate national influence in California politics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, California has always been a state that’s endorsed total democracy. Apparently they’ve changed those rules regarding the presidential race now. I hate national influence in California politics.

How would you define 'total democracy'? Everyone, including people who are members of an opposing party, could decide who another party nominates?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How would you define 'total democracy'? Everyone, including people who are members of an opposing party, could decide who another party nominates?

Yes, that was the exact system for years, and that’s how it still is in every other race besides US President now. Anyone with enough support can get on the California Ballot (with the parties generally being Democratic, Republican, Libertarian, Green, Peace and Freedom, and American Independent).

The California Constitution (the longest in the world) also has clause that means Californians vote on what Amendments to add to the Constitution. These are called Propositions, and we generally vote on 6-15 in every general election.

We vote in all judges, city officials, school officials, water officials, and other positions.

California elections are based on the top 2 system. Top 2 candidates in the primary advance to the general election regardless of party affiliation (except for US President). For example, the last Senate seat election came down to 2 democrats.

We also have “recall” elections. It’s like being impeached by the people in a sense. If enough people provide signatures for a recall (somewhere above 1,000,000), then one can take place.

So, I consider California to be the most democratic place in the world (or at least one of the most). 

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, that was the exact system for years

Wow, that is insane. Sounds like an excellent idea to change a system where theoretically all Democrats or Republicans could divide their votes between Robert Raccoon, James Jackrabbit and Tina Turtle (in the other party of course) and so try and increase the chance of getting a weak opponent. 

Edited by heywoodu

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, that is insane. Sounds like an excellent idea to change a system where theoretically all Democrats or Republicans could divide their votes between Robert Raccoon, James Jackrabbit and Tina Turtle (in the other party of course) and so try and increase the chance of getting a weak opponent. 

I don’t think that ever happened. It also gave a very clear picture of what to expect in November. It also allowed people to rise above party affiliation, and really vote for who they wanted too. Now, I don’t even get vote in any of the primaries (maybe). My “party” didn’t make the ballot :facepalm:(and I really should have changed my affiliation because I no longer affiliate with that party, but I didn’t think it would matter). 

Preparation is key, lesson for life :d