website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Just now, heywoodu said:

Preparation is key, lesson for life :d 

Yep, I even checked my registration to make sure I was eligible, but it didn’t even cross my mind to change parties (I didn’t plan to until after 2020)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, that is insane. Sounds like an excellent idea to change a system where theoretically all Democrats or Republicans could divide their votes between Robert Raccoon, James Jackrabbit and Tina Turtle (in the other party of course) and so try and increase the chance of getting a weak opponent. 

Plenty of states have open primaries for the presidency. It's pretty much discussed every time that some people from the other party would "help" the weaker candidates.

Right, just so everyone thinks Poland is the outdated and conservative country which dislikes immigrants.

The Economist states we've accepted more immigrants in the last two years than any other country in Europe (2m from Ukraine,36k from Nepal, 20k from India and 18k from Bangladesh). So much for us looking like xenophobic pricks.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2020/02/22/poland-is-cocking-up-migration-in-a-very-european-way

Obviously Ukrainians are our version of cheap labour, just like Poles are in Germany, Netherlands or pre-Brexit UK :evil:

Edited by Monzanator

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Right, just so everyone thinks Poland is the outdated and conservative country which dislikes immigrants.

The Economist states we've accepted more immigrants in the last two years than any other country in Europe (2m from Ukraine,36k from Nepal, 20k from India and 18k from Bangladesh). So much for us looking like xenophobic pricks.

https://www.economist.com/europe/2020/02/22/poland-is-cocking-up-migration-in-a-very-european-way

Obviously Ukrainians are our version of cheap labour, just like Poles are in Germany, Netherlands or pre-Brexit UK :evil:

So half of Poland comes to the Netherlands to work and to fill up those positions in Poland half of Ukraine goes to Poland? I wonder who goes to Ukraine :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

So half of Poland comes to the Netherlands to work and to fill up those positions in Poland half of Ukraine goes to Poland? I wonder who goes to Ukraine :d

According to this: Russians, Belarussians, Kazakhs & Uzbeks :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Ukraine

The Ukrainian immigration to Poland has snowballed in the last decade. War in Donbas only poured fuel into the fire. Hell, even the left-wing pro-Labour 'The Guardian' has noticed this last year:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/18/whole-generation-has-gone-ukrainian-seek-better-life-poland-elect-president

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

According to this: Russians, Belarussians, Kazakhs & Uzbeks :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Ukraine

The Ukrainian immigration to Poland has snowballed in the last decade. War in Donbas only poured fuel into the fire. Hell, even the left-wing pro-Labour 'The Guardian' has noticed this last year:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/18/whole-generation-has-gone-ukrainian-seek-better-life-poland-elect-president

So then who goes to Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan? I mean, somewhere there must be a source where all of this either starts or ends :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

So then who goes to Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan? I mean, somewhere there must be a source where all of this either starts or ends :d 

Obviously Russians go to Belarus and just about anyone from the former Soviet Union goes to Russia. It's an inter-USSR immigration market.

Kazakhstan has access to oil from beneath the Caspian Sea so it's doing incredibly well economically for a Central Asia country. Uzbekistan is the biggest cotton exporter in the world right now. Sadly the Aral Sea has been drained and shrinked as a result since the cotton fields are taking water directly from it. It's a state policy and nobody cares about it. I suppose Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan provide some immigration to these countries. They are probably the two poorest ex-USSR republics right now.

Edited by Monzanator

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Obviously Russians go to Belarus and just about anyone from the former Soviet Union goes to Russia. It's an inter-USSR immigration market.

Kazakhstan has access to oil from beneath the Caspian Sea so it's doing incredibly well economically for a Central Asia country. Uzbekistan is the biggest cotton exporter in the world right now. Sadly the Aral Sea has been drained and shrinked as a result since the cotton fields are taking water directly from it. It's a state policy and nobody cares about it. I suppose Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan provide some immigration to these countries. They are probably the two poorest ex-USSR republics right now.

Worth noting that Kyrgyzstan has been arguably the most democratic of the post-USSR republic though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Worth noting that Kyrgyzstan has been arguably the most democratic of the post-USSR republic though.

Well, it's an agricultural country ranked outside Top 140 in GDP per capita. Oligarchs have nothing to prey on there.

Actually they import more goods from China than Russia.