website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Is there a holiday on Halloween , today and tomorrow in your countries? 

There's probably some stuff on TV (although I didn't check yet) and some restaurants and theme parks have some special stuff (good reason to avoid them), but no, of course we don't have official free days or something for it :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Is there a holiday on Halloween , today and tomorrow in your countries? 

Nope no Halloween. But Cemeteries overflow with flowers and thousands and thousands of candles are lit and placed on the graves these days.

Since it´s the "All-Saints Day" which is here in "the Republic of Northern Vatican" one of the most religious Day-Offs, All shops, schools and offices are closed and peoples are expected to not work or at least to not do anything except driving or walking to the cemeteries.

In fact during this period (31st October to 2nd November) all families are reunited and travel across the country to visit cemeteries where their deceased family members are located.

It generated more traffic on the road than virtually any other day in Slovakia, including Eastern and Christmas. A large industry has sprung up to accommodate All Saints Day observance in fact. Flower shops in town start stocking memorials several weeks before All Saints

The experience is all in all very unique and quite powerful. Local radio stations play sad music all day etc...

some pics

Wszystkich_swietych_cmentarz.jpg

2320958164_be587b2b5a_b.jpg

brezno_cint_jv.jpg

On one hand, interesting. On the other hand, doesn't it feel a bit weird to go to the cemetery and be there with a billion other people? When I go to a cemetery to remember someone, I'd like for pretty much nobody to be there, you know, peace and quiet and all.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, AlFHg said:

Here in Italy November 1st is a red day

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I do not have idea which movie it comes from, (sorry, I know absolutely nothing about movies), but it is a fairly accurate representation of what happens in cemeteries where I live. Just switch swords with flowers: people who hate themselves meeting at cemetery trying to show who has the best dress, who put the  most beautiful and expensive flowers near graves, people strutting for the chapelle of their family and so on. One day I’ll go to the cemetery, but it definitely won’t be on this day

Isn't Halloween supposed to be scary? Or is he doing it to say Jesus is scary or what? :p