website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

17 minutes ago, rybak said:

And as in every year, you put the tree exactly in the same place, next to the window :d Very beautiful tree btw :) 

Thank you :)

Yes I like that you can see it from outside especially on these cold nights. Plus the coloured lights reflect on the black marble fireplace and it makes the room glow. Very cosy :).

Btw, some of the decorations on the tree have been in the family since the 1960s :d. Also, some very sentimental decorations such as one my niece made in school when she was a kid.

Ah, Raymond van Barneveld. Always good if you want to dampen those festive spirits :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Thank you :)

Yes I like that you can see it from outside especially on these cold nights. Plus the coloured lights reflect on the black marble fireplace and it makes the room glow. Very cosy :).

Btw, some of the decorations on the tree have been in the family since the 1960s :d. Also, some very sentimental decorations such as one my niece made in school when she was a kid.

A good quarter of the decorations on our tree are of a similar nature. We also have some random shit too. Shrek, Dora, Dale Earnhardt Jr., USA Luge, A Fish Head, A Navajo Hut, and a Meadowlark all make frequent appearances on the tree.  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

A good quarter of the decorations on our tree are of a similar nature. We also have some random shit too. Shrek, Dora, Dale Earnhardt Jr., USA Luge, A Fish Head, A Navajo Hut, and a Meadowlark all make frequent appearances on the tree.  

I love the sentimental or random things because they become a tradition. My niece searches for her decoration every year on the tree and same for all those really old decorations. Lord knows how they survived because as kids we frequently knocked the tree over whilst playing games of indoor football :d

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I love the sentimental or random things because they become a tradition. My niece searches for her decoration every year on the tree and same for all those really old decorations. Lord knows how they survived because as kids we frequently knocked the tree over whilst playing games of indoor football :d

Not too many games of indoor football, but we’ve had multiple artificial trees over the years, and we keep all of our decorations. We’ve lost a few here and there, but it’s always fun to decorate the tree and reminisce about past times. I’d imagine our traditions are very similar since my mom’s side of the family has the name of Avery. We’ve traced that side of the tree back to Ellis Island (New York Customs Station), and the English part of the that side to the Revolutionary War. In fact, one of my great, great, great, etc. family members was a general in Massachusetts (and there’s a statue of him in his home town to this day). Not really sure about some of the details on the Irish side, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at the research. My dad’s side is Scandinavian/German. Supposedly our family name, Nelsen, is of Danish origin, but I can’t really prove that at this point (but maybe @Wumo or @Agger could testify to it’s Danishness). I do know that my great grandmother spoke Norwegian, and that when that side of the family came through Ellis Island it was actually split. One brother was given the “Danish” spelling of Nelsen, and the other brother got the English version, Nelson. With all that tradition though, my family largely chooses to forget it all.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

California doesn't strike me as NASCAR county - and surely not a driver from the East Coast :mumble:

Yeah, I know Dale Jr won Most Popular Driver award 167 times in a row but still... :p

We have zero sentimental things in our tree, just the same balls every year :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

We have zero sentimental things in our tree, just the same balls every year :d

Stop putting your balls all over the tree, that’s not not in the spirit of Christmas, and quite frankly it’s a TMI detail. At least get someone else’s balls all over that thing from time to time.

:p

Edited by Olympian1010

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

California doesn't strike me as NASCAR county - and surely not a driver from the East Coast :mumble:

Have I not talked about the period of life where racing (NASCAR, and ALMS) was my everything? There’s also a yearly NASCAR race in the LA area at California Speedway.

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Stop putting your balls all over the tree, that’s not not in the spirit of Christmas, and quite frankly it’s a TMI detail. At least get someone else’s balls all over that thing from time to time.

:p

Knowing heywoodu they'll be meat balls :d