website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

I like to wish everyone a wonderful start to the holiday season. I hope everyone had a wonderful summer, and that the fruits of your labor have come (or are close to coming) for the year. It’s almost the end of spooky season, and of All Hallow’s Eve. 

Happy Halloween everyone!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Thanks, although holiday season only starts in December here :p

Well, apart from the 'Fall holiday' the schools have these weeks but I think they're mostly finished by now.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Totally missed Halloween was almost there or is here or is close or something by the way, let's see if there's anything fun on TV tonight or if it goes by unnoticed again :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Put on a festive shirt, listen to a Halloween playlist, played a few card games with the family, handed out some candy, and ate about 2 pounds of candy. Successful holiday all together :d. On to Veterans and Thanksgiving :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

29 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Is there a holiday on Halloween , today and tomorrow in your countries? 

Halloween is the biggest non-recognized holiday in the US. No one gets the day, and kids are expected to get school. Many people still host festivities throughout the day. Parties are becoming more popular, I didn’t have many trick or treaters knock on my door this year. This they did got a hell of lot of candy though (because we purchased too much).

Also, because of the high Latin influence in my state, many people will celebrate Day of the Day tomorrow. My university has an alter of the dead to honor the friends and family of students who have passed. It’s tough for me to go and pay respects though. My community is a high violence one, so there’s a lot of kids being remembered by the alter. It’s super depressing, but it reminds me of who I’m fighting for everyday.

Last year’s Day of the Dead was one of the hardest days of my life. My high school (grade 9) history teacher (who I absolutely loved) had passed only 2 weeks before after a surprise heart attack in a elevator. On top that their had been many traject deaths of old teachers, teachers family members, and the family members of students. Because I attended a Catholic school, we had a prayer service. As our tradition commands, we read off the names of the deceased one by one. The teacher was reading the names did well at first. However, he got to his recently passed brother, and people began to lose it left and right. He couldn’t speak, no one wanted to talk, it was all too much. Eventually he got the name out, however the next two names of the list were old faculty members who were his best friends (one of whom was my favorite teacher of all time). At this point I lost it and started crying (and I was trying my hardest to keep my composure for friends so I could support them, but I just couldn’t). It was honestly the most unifying experience I’ve ever been apart of. In the moment, and for the rest of day, people really rallied around each other. It was honestly amazing. My class had also planned a surprise honor for the end of the ceremony. My history teacher’s name was the last read off. Every single person in my grade brought one single rose (all of different colors, sizes, shapes, origins) and put on a table surrounding his picture. It’s honestly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, or been a part of.

I’m really sad that it wouldn’t be able to have that experience this year. If I can find the heart, I have a well-written obituary of my loved ones that I might share.