website statistics

Surfing ISA World Games 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Third day of competitions ended earlier due to bad weather.

Just Repechage 1 in the water for men and women. No big surprises, apart of Kaspar Hamminga :NED already out. And Bryan Perez :ESA who looks didn't compete at this event for some unknown reason.

At women's side, I was expecting to see more from Nala Lee :KOR.

Tomorrow we may have the Repechage 2 and perhaps Round 3 at main round. It'll be interesting to watch, we have some cutthroat heats at this point already.

If Sky Brown does qualify she'll be the first in two different sports since 1992.

And, if you discount Fencing/Modern Pentathlon and Swimming/Water Polo doubles, the first to compete in completely different sports since a member of the Greek basketball also threw the javelin in 1952

Apart from the direct Olympic quotas, ISA games are also important to define Universality elegibility.

An athlete must be top50 in either the WSG23 or WSG24.

In 2023, 4 athletes were top50, 3 men from El Salvador, 1 woman from Nicaragua.

MEN
33:ESA Porfirio Miranda
49:ESABryan Perez
49:ESADaniel Monterrosa

If I'm not mistaken all surfers that go through round 3 and/or repechage 4 will be top50 (top54 more precisely).

On men's side, :ASALiam Wilson, :NCAYeferson Lopez :NCAOscar Guzman  and :ISVCody Merritt are still on the repechage round 2.

WOMEN
13 :NCACandelaria Resano

All female surfers qualified to round3 and repechage 4 are top48, so even 3rd places on repechage 3 (tomorrow) are elegible (49-56).

If I'm not mistaken only :ASALucy Jarrard is still on the run (qualified to repechage r3), besides Resano.

Perez and Resano participated on a training camp in Teahupo'o last year and I guess they would be favorites for the quotas, but not sure how Perez is doing now.

12 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Apart from the direct Olympic quotas, ISA games are also important to define Universality elegibility.

An athlete must be top50 in either the WSG23 or WSG24.

In 2023, 4 athletes were top50, 3 men from El Salvador, 1 woman from Nicaragua.

MEN
33:ESA Porfirio Miranda
49:ESABryan Perez
49:ESADaniel Monterrosa

If I'm not mistaken all surfers that go through round 3 and/or repechage 4 will be top50 (top54 more precisely).

On men's side, :ASALiam Wilson, :NCAYeferson Lopez :NCAOscar Guzman  and :ISVCody Merritt are still on the repechage round 2.

WOMEN
13 :NCACandelaria Resano

All female surfers qualified to round3 and repechage 4 are top48, so even 3rd places on repechage 3 (tomorrow) are elegible (49-56).

If I'm not mistaken only :ASALucy Jarrard is still on the run (qualified to repechage r3), besides Resano.

Perez and Resano participated on a training camp in Teahupo'o last year and I guess they would be favorites for the quotas, but not sure how Perez is doing now.

when will we know the wild cards just after the surfing worlds?

27 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

when will we know the wild cards just after the surfing worlds?

I believe they have until June to disclouse their quotas, but I would assume it would be in a couple of weeks.

The deadline for the NOCs to apply for quota was on January 15th, so it's difficult to know if AMerican Samoa for instance applied for Liam Wilson (hopefully so).

17 hours ago, Dragon said:

If Sky Brown does qualify she'll be the first in two different sports since 1992.

And, if you discount Fencing/Modern Pentathlon and Swimming/Water Polo doubles, the first to compete in completely different sports since a member of the Greek basketball also threw the javelin in 1952

to be precise, it's 2 different sports in the same edition of the Summer Games, because in the Winter Games we had quite a few people competing in both CC Skiing and Biathlon or Speedskating and Short Track and in the combo Winter/Summer Games -even if in different years because of the scheduling- there were people competing in Track Cycling and Speedskating or Short Track)

1 hour ago, phelps said:

to be precise, it's 2 different sports in the same edition of the Summer Games, because in the Winter Games we had quite a few people competing in both CC Skiing and Biathlon or Speedskating and Short Track and in the combo Winter/Summer Games -even if in different years because of the scheduling- there were people competing in Track Cycling and Speedskating or Short Track)

Yes, I should have been more clear on that

End of the fourth day, from now on the competition will get another level. There isn't easy heat anymore.

Some big names were eliminated

Men

Ribeiro :POR, Tom Boelsma :NED, Giorgi :URU, Bouaouda and Bouchgua :MAR, Dillon :GBR, Gundesen :ARG, McDaid :IRL, Soucup :ITA, Gonzalez :PAN McGillivray :RSA

Women

Powis :RSA, Sandland :GBR, Calderon :PUR, Wiggins :CRC, Simmers :USA, Doyle :IRL, Mirna Boelsma :NED, Rosenbaum :BEL