website statistics

Team GB at the 2024 World Aquatics Championship Road to Paris 2024

Duncan Scott is reportedly still in heavy training, so puts the performances into some perspective.

we know the large number of swimmers out in Flagstaff Arizona (altitude) have been in intense training before Worlds as well, so I’m not sure how much taper they have had, e.g. Abbie Wood

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

In a sign of how relaxed the GB squad have been about these championships, I understand that Matthew Richards was still in heavy training at altitude two weeks ago. 

Whilst it is disappointing that he didn't make the podium, 47.82 is still half a second quicker than he was swimming at the same time last year.

Apparently almost the entire team is untapered; the only real issue was qualifying the men's 4 x 100, and even there, James Guy didn't go, Dean barely did, and both Scott and Richards were basically in heavy training. Peaty apparently sort of half tapered, and his team are apparently perfectly happy with where he is, much as Max Litchfield's team are. Clearly the USA have taken an even more relaxed route if that's possible, while Chinese in comparison are absolutely on it.

Stephen's gold today was a complete left-fielder, but its interesting her time was more or less the same as last years worlds, when the worlds were the main event of the season. She's clearly capable of more, but she's unlikely to catch Macintosh, lets be honest. The  women's 4 x 200, without Anderson, is seriously impressive , especially Wood.

And despite the lack of taper/seriousness, they've still got their 4x1 quota, a women's 4x2 free silver which is actually impressive, and notably 4 medals. some of us recall a fully tapered GB scrounging about for 1 bronze not so terribly long ago.

Paris will be a whole new level of tough, but quietly I'd say GBR are pretty happy with where they are.

Team Ireland, by contrast, are absolutely ecstatic, notwithstanding the relay disappointment.

Colbert 2:12.08 fourth and through

Proud 21.88 third and through

Relay team 7:10.15 fourth and through

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Hopkin 5th, 53.09

Colbert 5th and through, 2:10.67.

In brotherhood unfold

1 hour ago, RussB said:

Pretty underwhelming 4x200. Looks like it’s all in on Jimmy and Deano being on form in Paris to join Matt and Duncan. 

I don't think that 4x200 has the least bearing on Paris, to be honest.

3 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I don't think that 4x200 has the least bearing on Paris, to be honest.

Don't think any of the action we've seen this week will have all that much relevance when it comes to Paris. If the guys aren't hitting the target times when we get to the British Champs in April then may have to reconsider the medal prospects but from what I've seen so far, the majority of the GB swimmers are producing faster times than they were at the same time last year which can only be viewed as a positive sign for the rest of the year. 

The relay team 7:05.09 and fourth

Tomorrow:

0654 Swimming Women's 50m Freestyle Heat 12 - Anna Hopkin

1609 Swimming Men's 50m Freestyle Final - Benjamin Proud

1616 Swimming Women's 200m Backstroke Final - Freya Constance Colbert

1650 Swimming Women's 50m Freestyle Semifinals - Anna Hopkin

In brotherhood unfold

Wasn't around yesterday, but here's the results

Hopkin was third in her heat in 24.70, and third in Semifinal 2 in 24.52, and through

Proud got a bronze in 21.53 3-3-9

Colbert 8th 2:11.22

Today, the final day!

0639 Swimming Men's 400m Medley Heat 2 - Max Litchfeld

0706 Swimming Women's 400m Medley Heat 3 - Freya Constance Colbert

1646 Swimming Women's 50m Freestyle Final - Anna Hopkin

1701 Swimming Men's 400m Medley Final - Max Litchfield

1719 Swimming Women's 400m Medley Final - Freya Constance Colbert

Litchfield through second 4:12.54

Colbert through winning her heat in 4:42.33