website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Totallympics

12 hours ago, rybak said:

After first rehearsals of both semifinals I think that those countries will qualify

I avoid to watch the rehearsals this year - I want to have the "fresh" impression of the staging/singing during the shows like it was back in the "old" times...

My ranking is based on the studio versions - I didn't even watch the videos...

8 hours ago, Citius Altius Fortius said:

I avoid to watch the rehearsals this year - I want to have the "fresh" impression of the staging/singing during the shows like it was back in the "old" times...

My ranking is based on the studio versions - I didn't even watch the videos...

Bring back the old times :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum! :) 

Posted (edited)

My top 10 before the show are:

01. Croatia

02. Ukraine

03. Netherlands

04. Italy

05. Austria

06. Lithuania

07. Slovenia

08. Latvia

09. Belgium

10. Spain (my guilty pleasure)

And bottom top 5 on my list are

Estonia

Iceland

Australia

Moldova

Finland

And of course I dont count Israel as participant this year. And I really really like our song this year

Edited by NikolaB

Watched the rehearsal clips, so time for updated observations.

Still standing, that if either :ITA Italia or :CRO Croatia doesn't win, it will be preposterous (something quite usual for Eurovision in a sad tradition).

:UKR Ukraine exploded with the best staging and from a top 10 song rose to a top 3 position. Unfortunately they already gifted them 2 undeserved wins with mediocre songs, so this time, when they actually have a song, that is worthy to be a winner, someone else should win... 

Countries with the biggest improvements with the staging:

- :GEO Georgia and :ARM Armenia - two songs, which i won't add for repeat listening, but they will be great for an arena performance. Much better, than expected, so hopefully they will do good.

- :GRE Greece - I commemorate our neighbors for going with a traditional Greek sound, but i just dislike the song, a lot.. Which is a shame, cause Marina seems an awesome person and the staging accompanies the song perfectly. I just wished they went with a different song, ughhh... 

- :IRL Ireland - the crazy song. The visuals will carry it from a non-qualifier to the final, but meh for me.

Songs, which i already like and nothing changed -> :AUT Austria, :CYP Cyprus, :LTU Lithuania. Safe staging for all 3 of them.

Some other countries:

:FRA France - initially i was like "not another French ballad", but the guy is just such a good singer. Probably the best singer of the whole contest. Don't see many fan votes for him, but the juries will carry him to the top half i reckon.

:GER Germany - not great at all, but won't deserve their usual last place this time. The staging doesn't stand out, so i'm afraid another 0 pointer is coming. Sadly for them, they have taken :GBR UK's spot as the "not taken seriously participant every year", so they will need something unique to get out of the hole. Speaking of the :GBR UK, well, i think it's better not to say anything about the UK at all....

:ISR Israel - not as good as Noa Kirel, but a decent song for Eurovision level. However, given their worldwide position currently, i wonder how much backlash it will receive. Not by the juries of course, but from the fans. And the semifinals are only fan votes, so interesting to see, if it could be a shocking non-qualifier. Probably not.

And of course, i still vividly hate :NED Netherlands and :SUI Switzerland. 

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Watched the rehearsal clips, so time for updated observations.

And of course, i still vividly hate :NED Netherlands and :SUI Switzerland. 

I'm a big fan of Eurovision. But I hate the Dutch entry this year. My personale favorites are :BEL and :CRO 

My personal favourite by far is Switzerland this year - its a fabulous musical composition to my ears anyway!

Looking forward to the shows, lots of good entries this year and it is genuinely wide open (between 4 in my book at least) 

:NED:ITA:SUI are still my favorites. :ARM:GRE:NOR are close behind as well.

:FRA might be my biggest mover after rehersal clips. 

Expecting an interesting and fun week as always.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I would want to see one of :CRO:GRE:ITA and :BEL to win. :IRL for me is the biggest improvment after rehearsals. I do like also :SUI song very much but staging is awful, while :BEL live vocal is very weak. Let see what happen in next days. Tomorrow will be dress rehearsal so called "jury show" for first semifinal.

Btw. Today, at "opening ceremony" called Turquoise Carpet the :ISR delegation was absent....

10 hours ago, rybak said:

Btw. Today, at "opening ceremony" called Turquoise Carpet the :ISR delegation was absent....

For my understanding they are letting eden go outside the hotel only for rehearsals and for the live show for security reasons 

:CRO Croatia building a very good lead in the odds today. :thumbup: For 10 days they were at 18-24% and a huge jump today before the first 1/2. 

:SUI Swiss and :UKR Ukraine on the other hand dropping a lot. 

image.png