website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] IB Diploma: Sports and health science

ManuCHIL

Hi Guys!!

I haven't introduce myself yet, but I wanted to share with you that I'm a Sports and health  science high school teacher here in Argentina. 

The thing is this, it's just a a doubt

As sports geeks, what would you do with teenagers to engage them specially in Olympics and sports science topics???

That would be really helpful for me, I think I'm a little stuck with new ideas jejejeje

Edited by Sindo

2 hours ago, ManuCHIL said:

Hi Guys!!

I haven't introduce myself yet, but I wanted to share with you that I'm a Sports and health  science high school teacher here in Argentina. 

The thing is this, it's just a a doubt

As sports geeks, what would you do with teenagers to engage them specially in Olympics and sports science topics???

That would be really helpful for me, I think I'm a little stuck with new ideas jejejeje

Hey! you reminds my Spanish teacher at school! He was Chilean too :p

Would you like to share the ideas that you already had? Then we could think in new perspectives! Maybe @LDOG@konig and @NMQ may give you a better perspective, once they are Argentinians.

I would suggest you try to introduce new disciplines, sometimes the children don't know the hall of sports that they could explore or even find out a hidden passion! Usually, the kids are stucked in Football, Basketball... and those disciplines that they are used to watch on TV or something like that.

For instance, I discovered the world of winter sports only at 14! I didn't even realized the possibility of having actual competitions in it until the moment I saw some events in Turim 2006. But, it may have happened because I am brazilian, and at that time we didn't have so many places to practice some kind of winter sports haha

Does the “IB” in the title stand for “International Baccalaureate,” or does it mean something else? Just curious since that’s what IB means in California.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Does the “IB” in the title stand for “International Baccalaureate,” or does it mean something else? Just curious since that’s what IB means in California.

yes, It's and IB course and it's focus in how chemistry, biology and phisics are applied in Sports and health (I'm not a doctor, so usually I tend to relate more the course with sports)

21 hours ago, Laraja said:

Hey! you reminds my Spanish teacher at school! He was Chilean too :p

Would you like to share the ideas that you already had? Then we could think in new perspectives! Maybe @LDOG@konig and @NMQ may give you a better perspective, once they are Argentinians.

I would suggest you try to introduce new disciplines, sometimes the children don't know the hall of sports that they could explore or even find out a hidden passion! Usually, the kids are stucked in Football, Basketball... and those disciplines that they are used to watch on TV or something like that.

For instance, I discovered the world of winter sports only at 14! I didn't even realized the possibility of having actual competitions in it until the moment I saw some events in Turim 2006. But, it may have happened because I am brazilian, and at that time we didn't have so many places to practice some kind of winter sports haha

- I ask students to choose an Olympic event and they analyse the skill profiles related with that specific sport

- I use diving events to explain angular momentum

- We use official database from historic data for statistical analysis from athleticism events

It's difficult for me to find activities related with nervous system, anatomy (actually I hate that topic xD)

As it's a private school, actually the problem is that they tend to relate everything with rugby and hockey

For example, ideas for research would be helpful, because they have to perform an experiment to answer a research question.

Any Ideas would be helpful, at this moment the students get bored easily so a typical class it's not as effective as I wish

I’m just going to “spit-ball” with laundry list of ideas and potential connections to science.

1) Bobsleigh design/mechanics as it relates to aerodynamics, friction, and weight distribution.

2) Evolutionary advantages/disadvantages when it comes to swimming. With swimming, you could also talk about the “super suits” and why they were so effective a decreasing times. 

3) Energy return in shoes. Hot topic in athletics at moment. You could also look into energy return in different surfaces (grass, sand, mud, asphalt, concrete, cobblestone)

4) The breathing techniques behind free diving. 

5) There’s quite a bit you could go with head injuries in various sports (football, American football, rugby, cycling, bobsleigh, skateboarding, etc.)

6) I believe there’s data that states female athletes are suffering joint injuries at a higher rate than men (at least in football), maybe you could look into the scientific theories about that. It’s a bit of a research hot spot in the U.S. at the moment.

7) Wheel hardness in skateboarding and in-line skating. You could look into the chemicals used and how it affects performance in various environments/disciplines.

8) There was that guy who went skydiving without a parachute a few years back (landed in a large net), surely there’s something about physics there.

9) tidal forces and how they impact surfing. Tidal bore surfing might be an interesting case study.

10) The science behind a lot of the para sports is probably interesting (sit-skis, racing wheelchairs, tandem bikes).

11) You could do a case study on athletics with unique biological advantages like Eero Mäntyranta. Link: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/magic-blood-and-carbon-fiber-legs-at-the-brave-new-olympics/

ESPN had/has a nice series of short videos on sport science. I’m not sure if this playlist is available outside the US (I’m also pretty sure it’s not complete), but I’m sure you could clips on YouTube. Link: 

Hopefully you find some of that helpful @ManuCHIL

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela