website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I completely forgot there was an e-sports competition here :p

The esports community has also completely ignored this event. Liquipedia (the biggest results aggregator for tournament results) describes the Pan-am games tournament as a tier four tournament, which is the lowest tier they assign. It means a minor tournament, usually held online, without any top team presents.

26 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The esports community has also completely ignored this event. Liquipedia (the biggest results aggregator for tournament results) describes the Pan-am games tournament as a tier four tournament, which is the lowest tier they assign. It means a minor tournament, usually held online, without any top team presents.

Apparently Brazil won the title in the women's competition (which was Football), and Mexico in the men's.

Spoiler

bq208367.jpg

bq208166.jpg

2 medals in the last day of the games completed the 36 medals won by team Ecuador in Santiago 2023, with a total of 7 Golds, 12 Silvers and 17 Bronzes.

At the end Ecuador finished just short of the top 10 in the final tally by 1 gold, a couple of unlucky results especially in the first week like the injury of Tamara Salazar prior to her competition or very close losses in the final meters of the Road Cycling events were the main reason of missing the Top 10. However the team surpassed the goal of 30 medals, so the final outcome may be considered as a success overall.

Gabi Vargas won yesterday her second medal here, this time a bronze after her silver from the 1km race a day earlier. And a dozen of minutes later María Arias brought the last medal of the team and concluded the participation of Ecuador at the games by this as well.

7 - 12 - 17

Medals of the Day

Maria Loreta Arias,

Inline Speed Skating W 500m Silver

Gabriela Vargas,

Inline Speed Skating W 10 000m Elimination Race Bronze

F-LrrAMXEAAuUcJ?format=jpg&name=largeF-LqC5JXMAA408V?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

8 - Swimming [7]
6 - Gymnastics (Rhythmic) [8]

5 - Athletics [7]
5 - Judo [7]
4 - Gymnastics (Artistic)[3]

3 - Sailing [3]
3 - Table Tennis [2]
2 - Beach Volleyball [2]
2 - Boxing [4]
2 - Canoeing Slalom [3]

2 - Handball [1]
2 - Skateboarding [2]
2 - Surfing [1]
2 - Taekwondo [1]
1 - Archery [0]
1 - Badminton [0]
1 - Basketball [1]
1 - Canoeing Sprint [0]
1 - Cycling BMX [0]
1 - Equestrian [1]
1 - Fencing [1]
1 - Football [1]
1 - Gymnastics (Trampoline) [0]
1 - Karate [1]
1 - Open Water [0]
1 - Roller Skating (Artistic) [1]
1 - Tennis [3]
1 - Triathlon [2]
1 - Volleyball [1]

0 - Rowing [1]

0 - Wrestling [2]

Gold medals predicted: 63

Gold medals won: 66

Looking at my optimistic predictions of gold medals for team Brasil, I almost matched the actual results in total numbers. While I'm happy with the results, I wish Brazil had won more gold medals in different sports, like Archery, Canoeing and Cycling. We did manage to win a medal in a sport we never won anything before (Baseball), so that's a positive, along with the unexpected gold medals in Wrestling.

Won more gold medals than predicted

+2 Athletics, Boxing, Judo, Gymnastics (Rhythmic), Tennis

+1 Canoeing Slalom, Triathlon

Matched the predictions

Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Equestrian, Fencing, Football, Karate, Roller Skating (Artistic), Sailing, Skateboarding, Volleyball.

Won less gold medals than predicted

-1 Archery, Badminton, Canoeing Sprint, Cycling (BMX), Gymnastics (Artistic), Gymnastics (Trampoline), Open Water, Surfing, Swimming, Taekwondo, Table Tennis.

Won gold medals that were not predicted

+2 Wrestling

+1 Rowing

1 =.webp :USA  UNITED STATES 124 +2 286 -7
2 =.webp :BRA  BRAZIL 66 +12 205 +36
3 =.webp :MEX  MEXICO 52 +15 142 +4
4 =.webp :CAN  CANADA 46 +11 164 +12
5 U.webp 1 :CUB  CUBA 30 -3 69 -31
6 U.webp 1 :COL  COLOMBIA 29 +2 101 +19
7 D.webp 2 :ARG  ARGENTINA 17 -16 75 -25
8 =.webp :CHI  CHILE 12 -1 79 +29
9 U.webp 1 :PER  PERU 10 -1 32 -9
10 U.webp 2 :VEN  VENEZUELA 8 -1 44 +1
11 D.webp 2 :DOM  DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 8 -3 32 -8
12 D.webp 1 :ECU  ECUADOR 7 -3 36 +4
13 U.webp 1 :PUR  PUERTO RICO 3 -2 20 -4
14 U.webp 2 :GUA  GUATEMALA (EAI) 3 +1 19 =.webp
15 U.webp 10 :URU  URUGUAY 2 +2 10 +2
16 U.webp 12 :PAN  PANAMA 2 +2 8 +4
17 U.webp 2 :BOL  BOLIVIA 2 +1 5 =.webp
18 U.webp 3 :CRC  COSTA RICA 1 =.webp 9 +4
19 D.webp 4 :ESA  EL SALVADOR 1 -2 4 =.webp
19 D.webp 2 :TTO  TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO 1 =.webp 4 -7
21 D.webp 3 :PAR  PARAGUAY 1 =.webp 7 +2
22 D.webp 9 :JAM  JAMAICA 1 -5 6 -13
23 U.webp 7 :ARU  ARUBA 0 =.webp 3 +2
24 U.webp 5 :NCA  NICARAGUA 0 =.webp 2 -1
25 U.webp 5 :BAH  BAHAMAS 0 =.webp 3 +2
25 NEW :GUY  GUYANA 0 =.webp 3 +3
25 NEW :HAI  HAITI 0 =.webp 3 +3
28 D.webp 2 :ANT  ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA 0 =.webp 1 -2
28 NEW :SUR  SURINAME 0 =.webp 1 +1
30 D.webp 7 :BAR  BARBADOS 0 -1 2 +1
31 NEW :BER  BERMUDA 0 =.webp 1 +1
31 NEW :DMA  DOMINICA 0 =.webp 1 +1
31 D.webp 4 :HON  HONDURAS 0 =.webp 1 -1
31 NEW :SKN  SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS 0 =.webp 1 +1

As we can see from the medal table, all 4 top nations made considerable gains in gold medals, accounting for almost 66% of total gold medals (vs. 59% in 2019), which caused other nations to suffer a little, especially :ARG. Without most of their Track and Field stars, :JAM suffered the biggest drop here in the rankings, as well as in gold and total medals percentage. :BRA :MEX :COL all had their best Games ever, and I think some other nations too: :PAN :BOL :ARU.

:CHI had a huge increase in the total number of medals, but failed to win more gold medals, which is certainly a bit disappointing for a host nation. They lost a staggering number of direct finals (14 out of 17), which would certainly help them in the ranking (they also were 8th in 2019). Even with a drop in medals, :PER achieved a better ranking compared to Lima, which I think is a first for a previous host?

Record number of nations that medaled in a single edition with 34, thanks in part to six NOCs that managed to win at least one medal after none in Lima: :GUY :HAI :SUR :BER :DMA :SKN. Three nations that had at least one medal in 2019 did not win any this time: :GRN :LCA :IVB.

On Friday I found that the closest metro station to La Pintana was 5 km away from it...

I went by taxi. It didn't accept cards, and I had no pesos, so I overpaid in dollars. I returned on bus with no issues.

The stadium is next to three car junkyards (like the Peter Capusotto meme). However the Carabineros kept the place safe.

The Teros won both Saturday matches, though they had already missed the semifinals. Anyway, I certainly enjoyed it more than the field hockey.