website statistics

Team Canada at the Paris Summer Olympic Games 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Essentially the easiest possible draw, not too bad xD

Assuming we finish first or second in the group (not a guarantee but likely) we’d have a decent draw. 

First in Group A we’d likely face Australia/Germany (Australia is more likely, one of their key players Sam Kerr injured her ACL earlier this year and is unlikely to play) or Japan/Brazil (maybe even Nigeria, they aren’t a half bad team) in the quarterfinals, followed by a potential encounter with Spain in the semifinals. 

Second in Group B we’d likely face Germany or Australia in the quarterfinals, followed by a potential encounter with the United States in the semifinals. 

Essentially, getting first in our group means we’d have an easier quarterfinal followed by a very difficult semifinal. Getting second in our means we have a tougher quarterfinal, but a slightly easier semifinal. 

17 hours ago, orangeman said:

Pretty tough draws for both of them (assuming Spain and Greece get in), but it's always going to be tough at the Olympics. The goal for both teams is to make it to the quarters without facing the Americans there. 

Slovenia will qualify from Greece OQT... i predict that Spain, Slovenia, Canada, Australia will be the group

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, George_D said:

Slovenia will qualify from Greece OQT... i predict that Spain, Slovenia, Canada, Australia will be the group

Wouldn’t count out Dominican Republic or Greece, but yeah those seem like the most likely options. 

Not Dominican Republic, I forgot they won’t have KAT. 

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, George_D said:

Which just makes the group more difficult. If Canada can send its best I think they'll do well. But we'll see who shows up. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Assuming we finish first or second in the group (not a guarantee but likely) we’d have a decent draw. 

First in Group A we’d likely face Australia/Germany (Australia is more likely, one of their key players Sam Kerr injured her ACL earlier this year and is unlikely to play) or Japan/Brazil (maybe even Nigeria, they aren’t a half bad team) in the quarterfinals, followed by a potential encounter with Spain in the semifinals. 

Second in Group B we’d likely face Germany or Australia in the quarterfinals, followed by a potential encounter with the United States in the semifinals. 

Essentially, getting first in our group means we’d have an easier quarterfinal followed by a very difficult semifinal. Getting second in our means we have a tougher quarterfinal, but a slightly easier semifinal. 

I'm confused here, Josh. Did you mean, "second in Group A" in your third paragraph? If so, how is a potential matchup with the US in the semis easier than Spain? 

Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong altogether. I do agree, best possible group besides having the hometown team (but they beat Brazil in Rio and England in London, and then tied Japan in Tokyo. Wait, I'm seeing a trend here...)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I'm confused here, Josh. Did you mean, "second in Group A" in your third paragraph? If so, how is a potential matchup with the US in the semis easier than Spain? 

Or maybe I'm just reading this wrong altogether. I do agree, best possible group besides having the hometown team (but they beat Brazil in Rio and England in London, and then tied Japan in Tokyo. Wait, I'm seeing a trend here...)

Yes. Spain is a much better team than United States at the moment, considering they won the World Cup and the UEFA Nations League. That’s not the only reason why however, also contributing towards my ranking are the Round of 16 exit (lost to Sweden) for United States at the World Cup, Rapinoe’s retirement, but most importantly the shocking loss against Mexico at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, that’s an inexcusable result for the United States. They did eventually win the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but if I’m not wrong I believe that match was played in extremely rainy weather. 

Edit: We do seem to struggle against the United States in women’s football bar Tokyo though, I think either matchup would be tough. 

Edited by Josh

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes. Spain is a much better team than United States at the moment, considering they won the World Cup and the UEFA Nations League. That’s not the only reason why however, also contributing towards my ranking are the Round of 16 exit (lost to Sweden) for United States at the World Cup, Rapinoe’s retirement, but most importantly the shocking loss against Mexico at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, that’s an inexcusable result for the United States. They did eventually win the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but if I’m not wrong I believe that match was played in extremely rainy weather. 

Edit: We do seem to struggle against the United States in women’s football bar Tokyo though, I think either matchup would be tough. 

Bar the Olympics, see London 2012 :d