website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

These repeat wins make me question if having 20k and 35k race walk events make sense. 20k and 35k just seems way too similar. They should return to 20k and 50k or have only 20k like at the Games. 

Obviously not, but the same is true in many other sports (100/200 m, swimming, track cycling, gymnastics, cross-country skiing, biathlon). Personally i would prefer if they would get rid of race walking, would free up spots for other sports/save money. If they want to keep race walking, they should at least try to make it an actual sport.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Beat all of the above is in, dominate the event? Because that's something we hear from every very talented athlete, but most of them 'just' end up being very good, instead of constantly beating the rest :p 

Well she certainly should be someone you would want in a dream 400m race over the next year or two surely?

59 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I think the only big mistake was that 20k became the Olympic distance. 35k should be the compromise between 20k and 50k. It would make sense to only have 1 male and 1 female race walking events, just like how we only have the Marathon outside of the stadium. And forget about the race walking relay nonsense. 

But 20k became Olympic distance in mid 50s when nobody bothered about quotas and other sustainability nonsense :p

Moreover 20km women's walking only became an Olympic sport in 2000! Until 1997 World Champs/1998 European Champs women's walking was 10.000 at the stadium so it was even more suitable to extend the women's distance and kick them out of the stadium ;)

Edited by Monzanator

24 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Well she certainly should be someone you would want in a dream 400m race over the next year or two surely?

If she keeps developing the current way, for sure! Although I'm not sure she's just going to beat all of them, going from say 50.5 to 49.5 is a lot 'easier' than from 49.5 to 48.7/8 :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Tereza Ďurdiaková :CZE on nice 10th spot and broken national record by more than 2,5 minutes. Now I feel really pity and 35km is not at the Olympics anymore. And I suppose that the World Ranking to the Olympics "Road to Paris" will probably not merge performances from 20km and 35km. ....

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

Now, I understand why he was so good and was in a great hurry today and even improving his pb by 3 minutes :d He wanted this to happen as soon as possible haha.

Well, the eyes and heart of your beloved girl is an unsolvable problem :p, love is the greatest doping. :d

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

If she keeps developing the current way, for sure! Although I'm not sure she's just going to beat all of them, going from say 50.5 to 49.5 is a lot 'easier' than from 49.5 to 48.7/8 :p 

She has ran 49.2 so she is part of the way there. She had a long hard NCAA season this year which wouldn’t have helped. She will be in the mix for medals over the next decade or so given a bit of luck.

Interested to see what Neugebauer can do in the decathlon tomorrow. Last year he scored 200 points less at worlds than he did during the college season. If the same happens again this year he will end with 8600-8650 points. On the other hand he this time had 4 more weeks to recover, which might help him.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.