website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

10 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Very helpful post, as usual. Thanks!

About ES player, that price isnt that expensive, indeed. But i am against Discovery on the moral point of view. They are so greedy. My cable TV provider (bigest one in Montenegro) refused to pay Discovery bigger amount of money that they demanded in order to extend partnership. So majority of my countrymen cant watch any Discovery channel at all. And they were rather expensive in the first place. 

But ES player is an option, surely.

Side note. I remember those times when we could watch OG for free. And majority of events included. 

Now we cant even watch some smaller sports like weightlifting without paying...

the Discovery vs cable/sat provider in Europe is quite common dispute...

also here in Italy, any renewal between sky ITA and Eusp/Discovery is a mess...and this year, like it was in Pyeongchang, despite we have Eusp1 & 2 on sky ITA lineup, they won't show the Olympic Games on their channels because sky ITA doesn't want to pay an extra amount of money for that...

we can only rely on eurosport player (or D+ app, here we're in the middle of the transition...so, most likely we're gonna have 2 different apps showing all the Olympic stuff) and not on any traditional tv channel...

p.s. I agree...we're losing all the sport we used to have for free thanks to those greedy pay tv/OTT companies...and that's not good in many ways...

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Agger said:

I'd be disgusted if it suddenly ended up on only Discovery+. I know that Eurosport Player will be phased out at some point but I'll stay out of that cash grab for as long as possible!

I'm mostly hoping it stays on the Player because the Player works so well. It'd be shitty to have to get used to an entirely new interface and layout within a few days before the Olympics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I'm mostly hoping it stays on the Player because the Player works so well. It'd be shitty to have to get used to an entirely new interface and layout within a few days before the Olympics.

It certainly doesn't here. Out of nowhere it just stopped working (on all devices) while on my WiFi earlier this year. Was without the Player for almost 1½ month before the third person from their support could find a solution to making things work without me paying extra for a static IP adress (would mean 50 % extra per month just to make a single streaming service work).

However it does sound like Discovery+ has more problems with breakdowns.

57 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I absolutely agree with you, but since that's just not the way it has been, is or will be, we'll have to pay up I'm afraid :d

It can be somewhat accepted though. I mean, an average cinema ticket here costs probably €10 or so for what, two or maybe three hours of entertainment. No problem paying a few times that for two weeks of non-stop entertainment, all-day long, and even throughout the whole year :p 

:yes

Off topic: how common is using torrents in Netherlands? 

In France we have a public channel France Télévision who broadcast the games. You can see mainly the french athletes but it's free...

Since Sochi they have a stream platform france.tv/sport where you can find all the events with the original sound, that is great because our commentator are very bad.

I think it might work with a VPN?

In Denmark it's by the way shared between DR, the Danish Public Service channel and Discovery (Eurosport and some national channels). Discovery has all sports online while on TV it's shared with some main sports on both.

18 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

:yes

Off topic: how common is using torrents in Netherlands? 

It depends on the subject I guess :p 

No doubt some people download an F1 race or something, but most people will watch it live on TV, sort of internet-savy people watch an illegal stream online and the rest doesn't watch what they can't easily watch live.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Lucky you all :lol: We don't even know who will broadcast.

Back in 2004 there is no one in Indonesian trying to get the rights (the private TV thinks the Olympic ratings are too low and the state-owned TV was too poor). Even the Indonesian NOC head at that time claimed that IOC warned him. One new cable provider broadcasted it but very few can watch the action.

2008 - 2012 our state TV managed to get it so no problem.

In 2016, a media group with 4 free-to-air channels got the rights, but the actual broadcast shown is almost zero. Delayed opening ceremony (and they censored Giselle Bundchen legs too), prime-time soap operas squeezed in the middle of broadcast, abruptly cancelling scheduled broadcast. Remembering that year is making me angry :smash: (they have a free streaming platform with special channels but back then internet access is not as widespread as now)

And now in 2021, we don't even know who has approached Dentsu for the rights :dunno:

15 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Lucky you all :lol: We don't even know who will broadcast.

Back in 2004 there is no one in Indonesian trying to get the rights (the private TV thinks the Olympic ratings are too low and the state-owned TV was too poor). Even the Indonesian NOC head at that time claimed that IOC warned him. One new cable provider broadcasted it but very few can watch the action.

2008 - 2012 our state TV managed to get it so no problem.

In 2016, a media group with 4 free-to-air channels got the rights, but the actual broadcast shown is almost zero. Delayed opening ceremony (and they censored Giselle Bundchen legs too), prime-time soap operas squeezed in the middle of broadcast, abruptly cancelling scheduled broadcast. Remembering that year is making me angry :smash: (they have a free streaming platform with special channels but back then internet access is not as widespread as now)

And now in 2021, we don't even know who has approached Dentsu for the rights :dunno:

get a working european vpn and go for the eurosport player app...all the feeds you need in HD and even some footage in 4K (they promised it, but it's still to be seen if they will actually do it)...

or the french tv streams...but those will be only with environmental sound, no commentary...