website statistics

Sprint Canoeing ICF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The weird thing for me is that GB is very strong in paracanoe - they topped the medal table in Tokyo - so clearly the programme is there, they just haven't been able to attract the talent to the sport since the likes of Tim Brabants and Liam Heath retired

It's weird. There are certain sports GBR - not many, GBR is notable for having lots of fingers in lots of pies - has just not got any weight in - Canoe sprint is among the hardest to understand, especially given the line of sprint canoeists they had for a while, from Brabants through to Heath. The Slalom squad are pretty good, and have been for over a decade. The Paracanoe guys are excellent. and yet...

Other sports where the GB failure to 'matter' confuses me include Basketball, which thrives at grassroots level but nothing much at elite.

Sports where I am not confused include wrestling, water polo, rhythmic gymnastics and shooting.

10 hours ago, Adriano said:

Why Italy is amazing in rowing and so bad in canoe?

short version

in rowing we've always had a good tradition, a lot of clubs in many places all around the country, a decent talent pool and a lot of very good coaches

in canoeing, the talent pool is basically a small bunch of enthusiasts, we don't have many good coaches and also a lot less clubs than rowing just to start practicing the sport

the womens have always been a problem in both those sports because we are a truly sexist country that always put obstacles to the girls trying to practice certain sports (rowing and canopeing among them), therefore we've never been really competitive in that sector

1 minute ago, phelps said:

short version

in rowing we've always had a good tradition, a lot of clubs in many places all around the country, a decent talent pool and a lot of very good coaches

in canoeing, the talent pool is basically a small bunch of enthusiasts, we don't have many good coaches and also a lot less clubs than rowing just to start practicing the sport

the womens have always been a problem in both those sports because we are a truly sexist country that always put obstacles to the girls trying to practice certain sports (rowing and canopeing among them), therefore we've never been really competitive in that sector

But this club are nearly in the same areas? In your opinion  it will worst kr better? More or less funds?

Edited by Adriano

2 hours ago, Adriano said:

But this club are nearly in the same areas? In your opinion  it will worst kr better? More or less funds?

Here in Campania, one of the biggest regions, we have a strong rowing traditions but we just no have any athletes in canoeing. To be honest, canoeing is more North-Italian centrical

10 hours ago, Vektor said:

Athletes in tomorrow's finals who already won quotas

Men's K2

:CAN Poulin (quota in K4)

:CAN McTavish (quota in K4)

:ESP Germade (quota in K4)

:LTU Maldonis (quota in K4)

:HUN Nádas (quota in K4)

:AUS van der Westhuyzen (quota in K4)

:AUS Green (quota in K1)

Men's C2

:CZE Fuksa (quota in C1)

Women's K2

:DEN Jorgensen (quota in K1)

When I look at this info. Especially men's K2 looks to me that all the boats in final A may have the quota. Respectively, :AUS and :CAN the whole crew got the quota in K4. Which means that even though they took medals, the quotas would be reallocated to the boats below but despite the reallocation, they will still participate in K4 at the games and they will also have the opportunity to participate in K2 event if they want, right? 

48 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

When I look at this info. Especially men's K2 looks to me that all the boats in final A may have the quota. Respectively, :AUS and :CAN the whole crew got the quota in K4. Which means that even though they took medals, the quotas would be reallocated to the boats below but despite the reallocation, they will still participate in K4 at the games and they will also have the opportunity to participate in K2 event if they want, right? 

Pretty much. In the men's kayak, Canada has four athletes to use in events. They must participate in the K4, but can participate in the K1 and K2 boats.