website statistics

Rowing 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 2 months later...

The Boat Race has just started :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Cambridge takes it in some rough water. Oxford was a length behind but their focus was mostly on Felix Drinkall, who sort of collapsed right after the finish. Oxford quickly made it to the side where he was helped off, now it's a matter of hoping he'll be fine.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...

Rowing another sport with the crazy testosterone rule for men in women's boats. :GBR attempting to bring some common sense by taking the insane, revolutionary step of asking members what they think.

British Rowing ready to defy world governing body over transgender rules (msn.com)

The European U19 Championships will take place next weekend in France. Once again, no Ireland or the Netherlands...

Last year we won 3 gold and 1 silver and finished second overall in the medal count. I have a feeling that we won't do as well this year, especially in number of gold medals. Of our 9 medalists from last year, only 3 are returning this year (and only 1 of them is a gold medalist from last year).

We also have Dimitra Kontou who did not compete last year and easily would've won gold in JW1X, but she is not competing this year either as she already is with the senior team training for the European Championships which will take place the following week. I hope to see her at the World U19 Championships this summer and I believe she will go since it will not be so close to another regatta like the scheduling was with the European U19 Championships and the European Championships...

• 2 weeks later...

Solid first day for us.

JM1X 16 yo Makrygiannis won his heat :clap:

JM2- Kostoulas/Koutras very disappointing that they'll be in the B Final. I had higher expectations and was thinking they could win a medal.

JM2X Cholopoulos/Papazoglou won their heat with the fastest time of all heats. I'd be surprised if they didn't win gold to be honest.

JM4- 2nd in their heat and advanced to Final A. Good chance for a medal.

JM4X Heading to the B Final. We won medals at this event last year here and also at the Worlds, but of course with a completely different crew and it shows...

JW2X Dalidou/Lioliou won their heat with the fastest time. Dalidou won gold here last year and at the Worlds with a U19 world record so I have high expectations for this crew even though only one of the two rowers is the same from last year.

JW4- Our girls won their heat and really should win a medal.

JW4X I had high expectations and was a bit surprised that our girls were 2nd in their heat instead of 1st, but hopefully they can still win a medal.

I can see all 6 of our crews that are still alive winning medals, and I think in the end we'll end with 3-5 medals.

Very disappointing day for us, only 5 finals and 3 medals.

Makrygiannis messed up his SF and finished 4th. He did win the B Final to finish 7th overall but I expected more from him. Due to his age, he'll be back in 2024 and 2025 so he will still have chances to win medals.

Our men's double sculls won their SF as well and seemed like the clear favourites to win gold (not to mention they both won medals last year as well), but only managed silver, so it's a bit disappointing.

Our women's double sculls also seemed like the clear favourites to win gold, but they also ended up with silver.

Our women's four got bronze which was good as I figured they had a 50% chance for a medal.

We got 5th place in both the men's four and women's quadruple sculls.

So we ended with 0 gold, 2 silver, and 1 bronze. I guess we got spoiled last year with so many gold medals so now everything else seems like a failure :lol:

:ITA really dominated this year with many gold medals @phelps

Also I think it would've been different for us with Dimitra Kontou, she would've probably won gold in the women's single sculls but is not competing here as the European Championships start in a few days at the senior level and she'll be there, but hopefully she can be at the World U19 Championships this summer and give a boost to our U19 team.

5 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Very disappointing day for us, only 5 finals and 3 medals.

Makrygiannis messed up his SF and finished 4th. He did win the B Final to finish 7th overall but I expected more from him. Due to his age, he'll be back in 2024 and 2025 so he will still have chances to win medals.

Our men's double sculls won their SF as well and seemed like the clear favourites to win gold (not to mention they both won medals last year as well), but only managed silver, so it's a bit disappointing.

Our women's double sculls also seemed like the clear favourites to win gold, but they also ended up with silver.

Our women's four got bronze which was good as I figured they had a 50% chance for a medal.

We got 5th place in both the men's four and women's quadruple sculls.

So we ended with 0 gold, 2 silver, and 1 bronze. I guess we got spoiled last year with so many gold medals so now everything else seems like a failure :lol:

:ITA really dominated this year with many gold medals @phelps

Also I think it would've been different for us with Dimitra Kontou, she would've probably won gold in the women's single sculls but is not competing here as the European Championships start in a few days at the senior level and she'll be there, but hopefully she can be at the World U19 Championships this summer and give a boost to our U19 team.

Always nice to see that we still have a good number of young talents practicing this wonderful sport.

but as usual, our great problem is translating these amazing results in the youth classes into world class rowers in the senior ranks.

we're losing too much talent through this process because there's no way to earn enough being a professional rower.