website statistics

Rowing 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

1 hour ago, phelps said:

a medal for SVK in rowing ... now I´ve seen it all

what will be next a win in mens basketball ? :p

On 5/21/2023 at 3:23 PM, phelps said:

Always nice to see that we still have a good number of young talents practicing this wonderful sport.

but as usual, our great problem is translating these amazing results in the youth classes into world class rowers in the senior ranks.

we're losing too much talent through this process because there's no way to earn enough being a professional rower.

It's the same issue for Greece, every year we lose a handful of young, talented rowers because as you said there is no way to earn enough.

Stefanos Ntouskos was going to retire after Tokyo if he didn't win a medal, the gold medal changed his life financially...

7 hours ago, Makedonas said:

It's the same issue for Greece, every year we lose a handful of young, talented rowers because as you said there is no way to earn enough.

unfortunately, I guess it's a quite common issue with sports like rowing and others that don't allow people to make enough money out of it :cry:

13 hours ago, phelps said:

unfortunately, I guess it's a quite common issue with sports like rowing and others that don't allow people to make enough money out of it :cry:

I agree, but at least in Greece I see it happen far more in rowing than in other sports. I think because they have to train so much, that they don't have time for anything else, whereas with Greek athletes in other sports, often they have some part-time jobs etc.

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I agree, but at least in Greece I see it happen far more in rowing than in other sports. I think because they have to train so much, that they don't have time for anything else, whereas with Greek athletes in other sports, often they have some part-time jobs etc.

that's one point...the other being rowing the poorest sport on earth (if not on earth, in Italy for sure...our best athletes are students or people enrolled in the Military corpse -like in many other sports, but in Rowing they only rely on their salary, there's no chance to earn something extra by participating to global circuits like in swimming or athletics for instance)...

Edited by phelps

4 hours ago, phelps said:

that's one point...the other being rowing the poorest sport on earth (if not on earth, in Italy for sure...our best athletes are students or people enrolled in the Military corpse -like in many other sports, but in Rowing they only rely on their salary, there's no chance to earn something extra by participating to global circuits like in swimming or athletics for instance)...

Plenty work in Venice if not for restrictive Trade Union rules.  :roflmao: