website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

23 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

FB_IMG_1668885739241.jpg

A match of all time 

fans killing each other because they are pro Messi and pro Ronaldo and look at them having fun and enjoying the fact that they’re the greatests of all time.

What a fantastic picture this one. 

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I can't even imagine that a team can sell a World Cup match. yeah maybe it happens in one of millions boring club matches in a year (not a fan of watching the same teams playing each other 10 times a year) but World Cup is a different thing, nobody sells a WC match.

ask :PER Peru 1978 :rolleyes: :whistle:

or :GER vs :AUT in 1982 :facepalm:

not to mention FIFA itself fixing a lot of matches in the years thanks to corrupted refs (:KOR Korea 2002, but also :BEL vs :URS in 1986, :ARG vs :URS in 1990, the 1966 Final...just to name the first games coming to my mind).

1 hour ago, phelps said:

not to mention FIFA itself fixing a lot of matches in the years thanks to corrupted refs (:KOR Korea 2002, but also :BEL vs :URS in 1986, :ARG vs :URS in 1990, the 1966 Final...just to name the first games coming to my mind).

Peru was already eliminated before that match and FRG/AUT in 1982 was a completely different case. something like DEN/SWE 2-2 in Euro 2004. that's somehow match fixing but that's not losing on purpose for money.

and yeah of course I know bad officiating and corrupt referees happen . that's obvious. I was only talking about team A losing on purpose to team B only because of money while both teams still have chance to advance. I believe that's impossible at the World Cup when you know your whole nation are watching you.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

Let's don't forget :GER losing 0-1 to  :GDR so they wouldn't have to be in the :BRA semi-final group in 1974 :evil:

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

but World Cup is a different thing, nobody sells a WC match.

Depends on your standard of living mostly, I guess. Big-time pros, no, but I can hardly imagine the few players in the team who play back home in Ecuador and are still young are that easily able to provide for themselves and their family in some local team, and then if suddenly you're offered a million dollars/euros.....(or nice houses, like Spain bribing Malta to qualify for a World Cup in the 80's)

Athletes have sold their matches and games for way less, sadly.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!