website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

20 hours ago, Federer91 said:

One thing is for sure so far, people who wouldn't normally care about the WC, or football in general are very vocal these past 2 weeks. Good thing we talk a lot at work about the teams and players, because when i go "online" the football is a little side thing. Hopefully this will change, when the matches actually start.

It's a lot like the Olympics that way.  All we ever hear about in the lead up to the games is negative media stories.  For Beijing 2022, those all got amplified.  But once the Olympics started, the focus was rightfully on the athletes and the competition.  I'm sure that will happen to a large extent here.  There's a lot of down time between matches though, so I'm sure we'll still hear a lot from fans who are on the ground in Qatar, especially if they're unhappy with their experiences there

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It's a lot like the Olympics that way.  All we ever hear about in the lead up to the games is negative media stories.  For Beijing 2022, those all got amplified.  But once the Olympics started, the focus was rightfully on the athletes and the competition.  I'm sure that will happen to a large extent here.  There's a lot of down time between matches though, so I'm sure we'll still hear a lot from fans who are on the ground in Qatar, especially if they're unhappy with their experiences there

To be fair, for Beijing 2022 the focus towards, during and after the Olympics was on how much of a shitty Olympics it was :p 

Partially because of the choice of location, but of course a large part due to what's largely a matter of force majeure (COVID-19). Even now when thinking back about Beijing 2022, I mostly think about how the only reason to remember them is how empty and obscure it all felt.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Nobody in Poland would even consider Budweiser a "beer" though. The who ra-ra stuff will go away sooner rather than later, does anyone remember the protests in 2014 when Brazil was under presssure to "hide" some of the favela poverty? Yeah, does anyone remember that eight years later? Will anyone care about Qatar's Islamic rules in 30 days time? Of course not. So let's don't pretend any uproar here will change anything because it won't.

Again, it's the same story with the Olympics.  Speaking of Brazil, remember in 2016 when everyone was scared that Zika was going to be a major problem or that the water quality in Rio was going to make everyone sick?  Actually, most people probably don't because no one talked about it after the Olympics, especially since it was a non-issue.

In the lead-up to the 2022 Olympics, a lot of people were talking about human rights issues in China.  Since February, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've seen any mention of the Uighurs.  I guess that stopped being a think after China was out of the spotlight.

So yes, it'll be the same deal here.  About 5 minutes after the World Cup ends, no one is going to care about Qatar anymore.  Migrant worker deaths will be yesterday's news.  People who are in an uproar over these things will move onto some other political issue.  And the cycle will start over again until the next host country starts getting talked about.

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

And the cycle will start over again until the next host country starts getting talked about.

2024 Olympics in France. Oh boy, if only we had someone from a former French colony here to go on about that! :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, for Beijing 2022 the focus towards, during and after the Olympics was on how much of a shitty Olympics it was :p 

Partially because of the choice of location, but of course a large part due to what's largely a matter of force majeure (COVID-19). Even now when thinking back about Beijing 2022, I mostly think about how the only reason to remember them is how empty and obscure it all felt.

Similar to Tokyo, there was all sorts of fear-mongering that the Olympics were going to become a mass super-spreader event and it was irresponsible to hold it in the first place.  With both Olympics, there was news of positive cases (and especially in the case of Beijing, about all the prevention and containment measures), but the competition was largely unaffected and every event was held to completion.  That was no small feat especially with Tokyo before vaccinations were as readily available.

No question the Beijing games were almost completely devoid of any real joy.  Who knows what it would have looked like if not for COVID and China did get to put their best foot forward

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

2024 Olympics in France. Oh boy, if only we had someone from a former French colony here to go on about that! :d 

Fun fact: when I read french colony, always the first which came to my mind are the Kerguelen Islands :d

@bestmen, please comment about football here. There is no point to show us the entire history of the world here (what a nation did or not did in the past). Those were the times then and we can't change those things, no matter if where bad or good. Please do not attack or insult other nations here. Please stop these kind of comments.

21 hours ago, Federer91 said:

One thing is for sure so far, people who wouldn't normally care about the WC, or football in general are very vocal these past 2 weeks. Good thing we talk a lot at work about the teams and players, because when i go "online" the football is a little side thing. Hopefully this will change, when the matches actually start.

It's certainly not just people who wouldn't normally care about the WC. I know that Denmark is one of the more extreme cases (of the participating nations I believe only Germany are at more or less the same level) but also lots of huge football fans are very clearly saying that they won't be watching while some others may just watch Denmark's mathes. At least here in Denmark, I doubt that the criticism will become silent when the games start.

19 minutes ago, hckošice said:

24 hours to the first win and first step to the trophy :cool:

I predict 1-0 to Qatar and the goal will come in 2nd half :d But what if Ecuador players took money and won the game at the end :d  I'm joking ofc

Edited by thepharoah