website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

34 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I admit, I have zero idea about cricket

(zero and half let say about field hockey - I really tried to watch it, trust me, but did not appeal me, sorry found it extremely slow, messy and incredibly unnecessarily long (both the pitch and the play time) to my taste)

the only thing I noticed about Cricket is the crazy long amount of time needed for a game, 

Yes, I know, I can imagine viewers in India, where the sport is super popular will not have problem to watch it.. I just doubt it will be the same in the other parts of the world though... Personally I would even prefer more that Kabadi thing that have more Olympic potential to attract attention worldwidely than ... cricket.

You are ill informed or like you said you have very little knowledge about the game.

Only the T20 format is being considered for inclusion. 
A match usually takes 2hr 30 mins to 3hrs which isn’t that long. 
These matches are almost always close ones and are highly entertaining. 
I can understand where you are coming from, as for me ICE-Hockey is boring and irrelevant, but that is mainly because I don’t follow the sport or have so little knowledge about the game. 
If Cricket does get included in the programme it will likely stay for Brisbane 2032 & possibly thereafter. 
I do agree, make it a 8-12 team tournament each gender rather than 5. 
How IOC does quota balancing or swapping is another thing. 
It looks increasingly likely weightlifting will give away . I hope not. 

21 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

You are ill informed or like you said you have very little knowledge about the game.

I can understand where you are coming from, as for me ICE-Hockey is boring and irrelevant, but that is mainly because I don’t follow the sport or have so little knowledge about the game. 
If Cricket does get included in the programme it will likely stay for Brisbane 2032 & possibly thereafter. 

Can I ask, as a cricket fan, what you would argue that T20 would bring to the Olympics? At the moment, the only argument I've seen for its inclusion is the increased revenue from broadcast rights in India. 

56 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I admit, I have zero idea about cricket

(zero and half let say about field hockey - I really tried to watch it, trust me, but did not appeal me, sorry found it extremely slow, messy and incredibly unnecessarily long (both the pitch and the play time) to my taste)

the only thing I noticed about Cricket is the crazy long amount of time needed for a game, quite hard to understand how this is even considered to be at the OG, while in all other sports the different federations are inventing how to shorten the events to fit with the new "lack-of-attention-generation" aimed by the IOC... but ok. Look, I have nothing against Cricket, If they want and wish, Ok, no issue bro.Go ahead and add it to the games, play a whole month if you want... but do not sacrify other more traditional and more Olympic fitting sports/quotas because of that..

Yes, I know, I can imagine viewers in India, where the sport is super popular will not have problem to watch it.. I just doubt it will be the same in the other parts of the world though... Personally I would even prefer more that Kabadi thing that have more Olympic potential to attract attention worldwidely than ... cricket.

Personally, I don't think Cricket at Olympics much sense. But, it is not because of it being boring or crazy long game. A T20 game lasts only about 3 hours including mid-inning break. I am sure a baseball game is longer than that. Regarding sacrificing more Olympic fitting sports/quota, all of us are seeing it in the wrong way. We see it as Cricket/Breaking/Surfing etc. replacing more traditional and more Olympic fitting sports. Reality is those sports are losing out no matter what. They will be dropped unless they can get more eyeballs/money. The question is how long can they survive and who replaces them. 

From Indian medal point of view, Kabbadi in Olympics is better than cricket but Kabbadi is not even in the same league as Cricket. 

And do give Cricket a chance. Try to watch it in the upcoming Asian Games. I remember the apprehension (even scorn) a number of users here had regarding Kabbadi before watching it. 

10 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Can I ask, as a cricket fan, what you would argue that T20 would bring to the Olympics? At the moment, the only argument I've seen for its inclusion is the increased revenue from broadcast rights in India. 

My views on Cricket in Olympics:

What irks me everytime Cricket comes up is the scorn of some of the users. Just because you don't like a sport doesn't mean the sport is boring. I mean people here give running commentary on 50km Walk and still find T20 long and boring? There have been literally users who have said Cricket doesn't even deserve to have a World Cup as it is not global enough. And at the same time, no one has a problem with sports which are played only in Europe + USA/Canada. 

The only issues I would have with cricket (T20) coming into the Games are if the number of teams is 4-5.... needs to be at least 8 to an be acceptable competition for me and also if it takes away quotas at the expense of other sports which it would unless they do a radical u-turn on the athlete quota.
I don't watch cricket, it's never appealed to me, though the T20 and ODI 50-over formats are much more interesting than Test cricket for me (I have never watched a single Test match).

18 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

2 things , 

Firstly as you correctly perceive, In this hard financial times I would argue it is IOC who needs Cricket in olympic programme more  than Cricket/ICC trying to get into the olympics, as Cricket is already an established sports with good financial backing. 
Secondly, the game which was quiet limited is now spreading to every corner. It has 115 member associations and counting, the T20 format is exciting and appealing to youths . I would argue it has a far better reach than say Handball/ water polo where the sport is limited to same few nations , where is the global appeal in those sports?? 
If you talk about quotas in olympics I personally feel there are way too many quotas in swimming but that is a different issue. 
Oh & finally! Am not a cricket fan , but I want Cricket in the olympics programme for it will revolutionise olympics sports broadcast and appeal to the general wider Indian audience. Perhaps it is the push that our sports needs to reach the next level in olympics and challenge the big boys of olympic sports! 

57 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

28 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Personally, I don't think Cricket at Olympics much sense. But, it is not because of it being boring or crazy long game. A T20 game lasts only about 3 hours including mid-inning break. I am sure a baseball game is longer than that. Regarding sacrificing more Olympic fitting sports/quota, all of us are seeing it in the wrong way. We see it as Cricket/Breaking/Surfing etc. replacing more traditional and more Olympic fitting sports. Reality is those sports are losing out no matter what. They will be dropped unless they can get more eyeballs/money. The question is how long can they survive and who replaces them. 

From Indian medal point of view, Kabbadi in Olympics is better than cricket but Kabbadi is not even in the same league as Cricket. 

And do give Cricket a chance. Try to watch it in the upcoming Asian Games. I remember the apprehension (even scorn) a number of users here had regarding Kabbadi before watching it. 

Ok. Fair enough.

I am an open minded person ...at least some people tend to say, so sure, I will give Cricket a chance at the upcoming AG. but I swear, if the game will last the whole day ! I´ll spam your PM with daily useless whinings  :spank:

Edited by hckošice

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

Ok. Fair enough.

I am an open minded person ...at least some people tend to say, so sure, I will give Cricket a chance at the upcoming AG. but I swear, if the game will last the whole day ! I´ll spam your PM with daily useless whinings  :spank:

don't worry, an actual game of T20 Cricket normally is no longer than a commercial breaks filled NHL RS game going to penalty-shootout (with the difference that Cricket has only 1 long interval, meanwhile Hockey has 2) :facepalm:

however, I can tell you right now that if T20 Cricket is coming to the Games, it's at the expense of Rugby Sevens or Field Hockey

and I fear it will really be only a 5/6 team competition -like it happened for Baseball/Softball in Tokyo

Boxing and Modern Pentathlon being axed (Weightlifting will be saved, I'm more than sure about that...and could even regain a bit of quota places and a couple of weight classes after being almost cancelled in Paris) would likely open the space to increase the number of quota places in those combat sports that are currently heavily penalized in terms of participation (namely, Fencing -going from the current 8 teams, 36 individuals to 12 teams, 48 individuals per event and above all, Taekwondo -increasing to 5 if not 6 weight classes)

there's also a small chance that Karate would comeback into the Olympic program, but it's still a long road