website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

30 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Also, IOC should consider that their decision to throw out weightlifting and pentathlon can kill both sports. Boxing will be fine because, you know, it's boxing, the #1 combat sport in the world. But weightlifting and especially pentathlon needs the Games. The moment modern pentathlon is officially out for good, the sport will literally disappear and that will be the end of a discipline which was part of the Games since 1896. Legacy should matter. Weightlifting will probably survive in some capacity even if they aren't on the program but the sport will never be the same. 

Seeing for UIPM left their own legacy behind recently, it's a weak selling point here. :p

#banbestmen

43 minutes ago, dcro said:

Seeing for UIPM left their own legacy behind recently, it's a weak selling point here. :p

I think UIPM did the right thing. Show jumping was always the worst part of modern pentathlon, a big clusterfuck, a lottery, and it was also too expensive. The obstacle course will very likely be more entertaining, more unique to the sport, while it also keeps pentathlon close to its military roots. As far as the modernization of the Modern Pentathlon goes, I think UIPM is doing a good job. They are on the right track with the combination of shooting and running, the 90 minutes long final and now the obstacle course. The issue is with the marketing, the fact that they are putting the events behind a paywall. Not the mention that the quality of the broadcast still seems subpar. 

9 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I think UIPM did the right thing. Show jumping was always the worst part of modern pentathlon, a big clusterfuck, a lottery, and it was also too expensive. The obstacle course will very likely be more entertaining, more unique to the sport, while it also keeps pentathlon close to its military roots. As far as the modernization of the Modern Pentathlon goes, I think UIPM is doing a good job. They are on the right track with the combination of shooting and running, the 90 minutes long final and now the obstacle course. The issue is with the marketing, the fact that they are putting the events behind a paywall. Not the mention that the quality of the broadcast still seems subpar. 

It'a a new sport then. And since MP is already effectivelly removed from the program, there is no way it gets re-added again. There are far more attractive new sports.

#banbestmen

11 hours ago, canadafan2024 said:

Hoping that the baseball in LA will be "best-on-best", let's see if MLB cooperates and releases players for the tournament. There may never be a better opportunity

nice illusion, I fear...

I think it will never happen with the current NHLPA tenure...

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

It'a a new sport then. And since MP is already effectivelly removed from the program, there is no way it gets re-added again. There are far more attractive new sports.

No, it's not. If you use that logic pentathlon was already a "new sport" when they introduced laser run. It's not about which disciplines are in, It's about testing the skills of athletes in various disciplines, or more precisely, "to test the skills of a soldier". Being a good horse rider isn't exactly an important military skill anymore, so having the obstacle course instead of it is actually more in line with what the sport should be about. Therefore it's the same sport. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Presumably the selection of new sports for LA 2028 will be in IOC session 141st (140th IOC session has been done virtually 2-3 weeks ago). Any idea what would be the proposed date of the new session and is it still to be held in Mumbai?

5 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

Presumably the selection of new sports for LA 2028 will be in IOC session 141st (140th IOC session has been done virtually 2-3 weeks ago). Any idea what would be the proposed date of the new session and is it still to be held in Mumbai?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/olympics.com/ioc/news/amp/141st-ioc-session-in-mumbai-india-information-for-the-media.

15th - 17th October.  

In preparation for LA 2028, today is the first UIPM world championship to adapt obstacles as the 5th sport. personally I like MP the most and I found it interesting sport with multi abilities techniques .

Also I was hoping equestrian to continue, this discipline sometimes not fair but as an audience it give me the thriller of no one can guarantee his/her position before and after it.

But still fair enough for athletes to have a discipline which you can perform with consistency.

Looking forward to seeing the first W Ch (U17) with Obstacle discipline involved.