website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Cricket as Olympic sport? How many teams will participate? Six? :lol: Unless they split West Indies and artificially boost the count. Either way, USA won't pay attention and likewise 99% of Europe.

India alone has more than twice as many people as the entire EU, it’s really not that weirs to include by far their most popular sport in the Olympics. Certainly no weirder than including much less popular sports like handball or hockey.

And ofc the West Indies would be split up for the Olympics, they don’t have an NOC.

Cricket is a sport where you have medal contenders from five continents (basically everywhere except South America) and is a sport that is particularly popular in the Indian Subcontinent, a region currently vastly underserved by the Olympics.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Cricket as Olympic sport? How many teams will participate? Six? :lol: Unless they split West Indies and artificially boost the count. Either way, USA won't pay attention and likewise 99% of Europe.

of course they will split the Caribbean teams...

however, there are at least 12 teams (from all the 5 Continents) capable of playing very good and entertaining cricket...

I'd say that the game has more depth than Waterpolo or Field Hockey, tbh...

p.s. don't underestimate the interest for the sport in North America, where a lot of people with heritage from Cricket powerhouses live...;)

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

India alone has more than twice as many people as the entire EU, it’s really not that weirs to include by far their most popular sport in the Olympics. Certainly no weirder than including much less popular sports like handball or hockey.

And ofc the West Indies would be split up for the Olympics, they don’t have an NOC.

Cricket is a sport where you have medal contenders from five continents (basically everywhere except South America) and is a sport that is particularly popular in the Indian Subcontinent, a region currently vastly underserved by the Olympics.

technically, Guyana is in South America...so, they also have a representative that might do very well...:p

Yes cricket has way more relevance around the world than hockey or water polo. I mean hockey isn’t even popular in most of the countries who actually do well in it and that’s a small number to begin with.

Whether you want it in or out is a personal preference but you can’t say it’s any less deserving than hockey or water polo.

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

technically, Guyana is in South America...so, they also have a representative that might do very well...:p

I keep mentally lumping them with North America because they are a CONCACAF member / sort of culturally part the Caribbean but you are of course correct.

18 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Yes, but India can only field ONE team at the Olympics, right? It's the same casus with China, just because they own table tennis it doesn't mean table tennis is a global sport in terms of popularity.

I'm sorry but cricket is being played between the same nations over and over again. England, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan and West Indies (have Bangladesh & Afghanistan won anything in cricket, like one medal at World Cup? They're just the minnows who always lose). This ain't 1922 when British Empire covered 25% of the globe. Those days are gone. You wanna tell me colonialism is back to being trendy again so cricket needs to be an Olympic sport? :lol:

21 minutes ago, phelps said:

of course they will split the Caribbean teams...

however, there are at least 12 teams (from all the 5 Continents) capable of playing very good and entertaining cricket...

I'd say that the game has more depth than Waterpolo or Field Hockey, tbh...

p.s. don't underestimate the interest for the sport in North America, where a lot of people with heritage from Cricket powerhouses live...;)

If flag football and baseball/softball are approved then nobody in USA will give a flying hoot about cricket. Americans usually don't care about any sport they aren't good at and I haven't seen USA national team play world class cricket lately? :lol: It took years for soccer to even register on the US pro sporting map and you want to sell them cricket at the Olympics? Zero chance that happens.