website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2021

18 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Final cut made, meaning I've chosen my 12 songs and sadly, left out some nice entries as reserves.

Still, some adjustments to make for half the places, so tomorrow I'll send my votes.

On a different note, has anyone thought of a format for the team competition?

The reason I'm asking is because I offered my help for the draw, and would like to prepare the templates containing team allocation and have them ready for that date.

The last time we had 37 nations was TISC Open 2019 and the team format consisted of 12 teams of 3 nations. There were 3 legs and 2 members of each team paired up in each leg to try to win as many points as possible. And there was the “Denmark bonus” as they were the hosts. Not sure how that worked again to be honest :d 

Still no clue though if the final

number will be 37 this time. It depends on whether everyone submits their votes.

I’ve done two preliminary listens to each song now. If I can have until evening my time Sunday; I can get my votes in.

Also, suggestion for the Team competition: I propose use use a modified version of the climbing combined format. Teams will be given a rank for each leg, and then those rankings will be multiplied to produce a total score for the final ranking. I propose we have 4 legs, each lasting 9 vote reveals. They would scored as followed - Leg 1: Ranking is determined by the highest scoring song from each team, Leg 2: Ranking is determined by the lowest scoring song on each team (tiebreaker being 2nd lowest scoring song per team and so on), Leg 3: Ranking is determined by the average score of all entrants per team (ie all a teams points are added up, then averaged, and compared to the other teams averages to form the ranking), Leg 4: Ranking is determined by the total of all points earned by members of the team, Bonus Leg: Applies to the votes of the host country, any points earned a team are subtracted from their final total.

Is this format complicated? Yes. However, an overly complicated format for a team event in an individual competition is, in many ways, the perfect celebration of international sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Belle said:

@OlympicIRL I have sent Sweden’s vote to @Dnlbut he hasn’t read it yet. What if he can’t read it in time? Does it count then? Or should we send them to you too? 

No worries @Belle, as long as you sent the votes to @Dnl by the deadline, then you are good :).

@Dnl do we have any updates on how many nations have voted thus far?

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve done two preliminary listens to each song now. If I can have until evening my time Sunday; I can get my votes in.

Also, suggestion for the Team competition: I propose use use a modified version of the climbing combined format. Teams will be given a rank for each leg, and then those rankings will be multiplied to produce a total score for the final ranking. I propose we have 4 legs, each lasting 9 vote reveals. They would scored as followed - Leg 1: Ranking is determined by the highest scoring song from each team, Leg 2: Ranking is determined by the lowest scoring song on each team (tiebreaker being 2nd lowest scoring song per team and so on), Leg 3: Ranking is determined by the average score of all entrants per team (ie all a teams points are added up, then averaged, and compared to the other teams averages to form the ranking), Leg 4: Ranking is determined by the total of all points earned by members of the team, Bonus Leg: Applies to the votes of the host country, any points earned a team are subtracted from their final total.

Is this format complicated? Yes. However, an overly complicated format for a team event in an individual competition is, in many ways, the perfect celebration of international sports.

I like it, sounds interesting to me anyway. But then again, it could be hard to keep up with that on the day since most of the time team events are updated by users on the day of the contest. But if it could be done it sounds interesting for sure.

I wonder how is the best way of including Israel in the team element? How do we decide which team they are placed in? Even if they operate as a bonus or a forfeit, would be nice to have some way of deciding which team they go to in the end of competition so that they have something to play for too.

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Is this format complicated? Yes. However, an overly complicated format for a team event in an individual competition is, in many ways, the perfect celebration of international sports

No it isn't perfect. While it sounds good you just increased the hosts work by a 100 times. After every vote the strongest and weakest team changes and ofc you wouldn't want to find average every time for 9 votes.  If this has to go ahead then perhaps team votes can be revealed once in the middle and once at the end for first 3 legs. In 4th leg we could revert back to old method with a shooting style elimination. At every vote  a team gets eliminated and finally two teams will remain. 

45 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

No it isn't perfect. While it sounds good you just increased the hosts work by a 100 times. After every vote the strongest and weakest team changes and ofc you wouldn't want to find average every time for 9 votes.  If this has to go ahead then perhaps team votes can be revealed once in the middle and once at the end for first 3 legs. In 4th leg we could revert back to old method with a shooting style elimination. At every vote  a team gets eliminated and finally two teams will remain. 

You wouldn’t need to calculate the highest score, lowest score, and average after each voting period in each segment, just once at the end of that specific segment. People didn’t like the elimination aspect last time around because they felt like the contest was already over for some at the midway point. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

People didn’t like the elimination aspect last time around because they felt like the contest was already over for some at the midway point. 

That time it was 1 team eliminating after every leg or something. Here elimination is only in the final leg can even be limited to just last 5-6 votes. Like 50m 3P there could be double elimination after a certain position towards end then single elimination.