website statistics

2018OfficialCountdown.png

As we approach the 25 weeks to go milestone until 2018 Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, it's time to open our official countdown thread here on Totallympics. Members can post here on the thread day-by-day to help build the excitement in the coming weeks as we countdown to the big event. This thread can be used to mark any milestones on the way, such as the opening of the Olympic village, tracking the arrival of delegations, the raising of our national flags in the Olympic village, news and details about the Opening Ceremony and so on.

To help us countdown the days ahead, I have created an Olympic Countdown Clock depicting the 2018 Winter Olympic logo alongside the Olympic rings. The clock consists of various elements to help us mark off milestones along the way as we edge closer and closer to the Opening Ceremony on the 9th February.

Firstly, the logo itself is divided into 2 elements.... the first part consisting numbers 1-24 representing the number of weeks until the official start of the 2018 Winter Olympic Games. As each week passes, another coloured "block" will be added to the logo until it begins to take on it's familiar appearance.

The second element consisting of the an alpha-numeric system will represent various other milestones to watch out for along the way that signify the the Games are getting closer. I will draw up a list of ideas for these milestones and I am calling on you to help with suggesting ideas for this (I am not very knowledgeable in Winter Sports). Ideas currently include:

Key:
a1 6 months to go
a2 3 months to go
a3 1 month to go
b1 150 days to go
b2 100 days to go
b3 75 days to go
c1 Four Hills Tournament begins
c2 Hahnenkamm Race begins
c3 Winter X Games begin
d1 tickets go on sale
d2 2018 Olympic year arrives (Jan 1st)
d3 2018 Olympic Prediction Contests Open on Totallympics
e1 lighting of Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece
e2 Olympic flame arrives in Incheon
e3 Olympic flame arrives in Gangwon province
x Olympic cauldron is lit

Finally, below the official logo is a depiction that becomes active on the "50 days to go" milestone, consisting of the numbers 1-50, representing the 5 Olympic rings. As each day passes, another piece of the Olympic ring is shaded in colour until the 1 day to go milestone, after which the 5 coloured rings will be depicted in their complete form. The Countdown Clock will not be complete until the Olympic cauldron is officially lit inside the Olympic stadium on the night of the Opening Ceremony.

Upon completion, the Countdown Clock should look like this......

30     30     30  
                30 30   30   30    
                30   30 30 30 30    
                  30 30      
                30     30    
              30         30  

PyeongChang 2018

------------------50--------------------------------------25--------------------------------------02-----

--------49-----------------48------------------27-----------------24-------------------04----------------01-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--47----------------------------46-------29-----------------------------22-------06----------------------------03

--------------------------------------36--------------------------------------16-------------------------------

--45-----------------------38--43-------30--33-------------------18--21-------08--13------------------------05

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------44-----------40---41------------------28--31-------20--23-------------------10--11-----------07---

------------------42--------------------------------------26--------------------------------------09-------------

----------------------39-----------------------------32-------19----------------------------12-----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------37-----------------34-------------------17----------------14-------------

--------------------------------------35--------------------------------------15---------------

So without further ado, let the countdown to the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games begin :cheer:

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Video Games
Posted (edited)
On 29 June 2017 at 22:53, Bohemia said:

Where can I find this game you're talking about @OlympicIRL? I'm interested :d

The only game I used to play was the Beijing one with Mario and Sonic, on Nintendo DS :lol:

I had it on PS3 console... you could also get it on Xbox and PC.

I also had the Mario and Sonic one for the DS :d

Edited by OlympicIRL

Just now, dcro said:

This is an awesome game. I actually played it few days ago for the first time in a while. :d

My favourite event is probably canoe slalom though. :p I also like gymnastics. :d

It was awesome indeed.... I want to play it again now :d. I loved the gymnastics too.... I think I have some good placings on the worldwide list (or at least I used to) :d.

There was a guy from Spain called Hulkaran who was just unbeatable :d

My favourite event in any of the Olympic video games.... playing this online was just the best fun ever :d

Just now, Dmitry said:

Not exactly. Something like pop punk

Yes, something like that. After playing it some days it began to get on my nerves :d

1 minute ago, Dmitry said:

:d

Well it wasn't the main menu music that was the problem.... do you remember the songs that played as you competed in each event? :d

16 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I remember Salt Lake City 2002 game. There were 6 disciplines: men's alpine skiing downhill, men's ski jumping K120, men's snowboard PGS, women's alpine skiing slalom, women's freestyle aerials and 2-man bobsleigh.

Yes, and 16 nations if I remember right. The music was dreadful :d

I used to play all the old Playststion Olympic Games (with the exception of a couple of Winter editions). Playing Beijing 2008 online was always a really fun way to spend an evening. I got into some of the top worldwide records too and had a friendly rivalry with two French guys.... nice times to remember :d

3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Speaking of Ireland, it appears they've just acquired a Norwegian cross-country skiier. Apparently he had 'Irish origins'?

http://www.t-a.no/sport/2016/11/29/Thomas-fra-Leka-går-verdenscup-i-helga-–-for-Irland-13859582.ece

And he's competing in the WC sprint qualification today.

Thanks for this info, I had no idea! Wow, that's cool :thumbup:

Just now, dcro said:

Ireland did have that unlucky 4th place once... :(

800px-Clifton_Wrottesley_at_Finish,_SLC_

Yes, Clifton Wrottesley.... he was so close :(

Just now, hckosice said:

yes, but he is still young, 19 only, he still can progress :yes

I hope so, we need a lift in winter sports :d

19 minutes ago, hckosice said:

small in quantity but interesting in quality especially Seamus O´Connor :)

Seamus is our leading light by far. I hoped his progress in the last couple of years would have been better though, he seems to have hit a plateau.

I really have no idea but it's likely we will be able to count our team on one hand :d