website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2016

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I heard this song before ... :d

Did they have other successful songs or were they a "one-hit-wonder"?

I think this song has been used in tons of movies, but i never realized that it was created by a finnish band.

Edit: When i am done watching the video, it shows "Pillowtalk" by Zayn in the bottom right corner, this song has one of the "best" music videos ever ... and Jimmy Fallon also did a lip sync battle with it.

The song "Feel the beat" did decently as well at the time, but has been more or less forgotten.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Agger:

The song "Feel the beat" did decently as well at the time, but has been more or less forgotten.

Are you gonna pick a song for Norway?

Norway has really produced great songs in 2015, i actually really liked this song, although it might be too mainstream for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAF75z1k9LI

This one is also by Kygo and quite good in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_hze0rfwU

Edit: This also wouldve been a good choice for USA in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNftSQj4cM

Edit again: I think all of this is probably off-topic and isnt really part of the contest, so i wont "spam" this thread any more.

One last song that couldve been nominated for Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEh0NRIpxrI

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Wanderer:

cuba-flag-pole-animated.gif

Ibeyi are Cuban-born, Paris based twin sisters Lisa-Kaïndé and Naomi Diaz. They sing in French, English, Spanish and Yoruba, which was brought to Cuba by West African slaves. Ibeyi honor their father’s legacy, Cuban jazz percussionist Miguel "Angá" Díaz through their percussive production. Beatsmith Naomi plays both the cajón and the batá while Lisa-Kaindé plays the piano and sings the main vocals.

ibeyi-oya-river.jpeg

And here is the song that enchanted me... (Album name: Ibeyi, released in July 28th, 2015)

Ibeyi - River

Cool song, how did you discover it? It reminds me almost a bit of gospel music, but the video makes me a bit "scared" to be honest ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Cool song, how did you discover it? It reminds me almost a bit of gospel music, but the video makes me a bit "scared" to be honest ...

It is cool song, indeed.

I love music and explore a lot. Let's say a friend of mine showed me how great they are.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Wanderer:

It is cool song, indeed.

I love music and explore a lot. Let's say a friend of mine showed me how great they are.

Is this your favorite song by them/why did you pick a song in english? Are all of their songs in only one language or do they also have some songs where they sing in more than one language? I understand that they sing in french, spanish and yoruba, but do you know why they also sing in english?

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Is this your favorite song by them/why did you pick a song in english? Are all of their songs in only one language or do they also have some songs where they sing in more than one language? I understand that they sing in french, spanish and yoruba, but do you know why they also sing in english?

It is my favourite and the first one I discovered, hence I chose it, regardless of language they are singing in. I don't know exact reason, but I guess, if they know and can sing in many languages, why not to exploit that knowledge/ability. :)

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Wanderer:

It is my favourite and the first one I discovered, hence I chose it, regardless of language they are singing in. I don't know exact reason, but I guess, if they know and can sing in many languages, why not to exploit that knowledge/ability. :)

I guess we have a very different approach. I think music is (also) about expressing your "feelings" and normally there is one language that is best to express your feelings, so you normally use that language. I think for the same reason there are very few authors who write in more than one language and most authors settle for only one language at some point in their life. I think that there is one language that is best to express what you think and you should stick with that language. They probably grew up speaking spanish and yoruba in Cuba and when they came to France they also started to learn french, so in my opinion it seems as if they dont really have a "connection" to the english language so i am a bit surprised that they still use it for their songs. In general i think that for example german artists should sing in german, because english songs often sound pretty "random", most german artists cant express what they really think/feel in english and if you have to focus on the pronunciation it becomes even more complicated.