website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Billes suffering from mental rather than physical issues according to her coach. 

3,2,1 till Piers Morgan launches a tirade against her. 

Can mental issue happen all of a sudden? May be I suspect some hidden injuries which suddenly aggravated.

22 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Can mental issue happen all of a sudden? May be I suspect some hidden injuries which suddenly aggravated.

She was not at her best on Sunday and has mentioning finding the pressure hard - and the team final can eb the worse for pressure because it’s not just you. Say if she went on Beam or Bars and fell more than once. America could have crashed out of the medals 

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Is Biles the GOAT then? I don't think so.

It's really not just about winning when your competition is head and shoulders below you. It's also about performing under (extreme) pressure.

I've never seen her as the greatest of all time. When she goes to an edition of the Olympic Games and wins 6 medals -- all of the possible medals in women's competition -- like Silivas did in 1988, then she can say she's the greatest of all time. Will she manage to do it here? Let's see.

She's undeniably a very strong and talented gymnast. She has won countless world titles. She has pushed the difficulty way, way up, beyond what anyone could expect for now. But the greatest of all time? That's debatable.

This is mostly US media trying hard to make the rest of the world believe their athletes are the best.

However, I'm worried about her mental health. The pressure on her shoulders is monumental and this is not a sport where gymnasts should compete when they feel unsafe or unsure about themselves. She did the right thing withdrawing from team finals because she needs to keep safe above everything else. And she knows that nothing will change what she has achieved so far.

Women's Team
Final Results

:ROC  ROC

Liliia Akhaimova

Viktoriia Listunova

Angelina Melnikova

Vladislava Urazova

:USA  United States 

Simone Biles

Jordan Chiles

Sunisa Lee

Grace McCallum

:GBR  Great Britain  

Jennifer Gadirova

Jessica Gadirova

Alice Kinsella

Amelie Morgan

Full Final Results Here
Qualification Results Here

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, only Americans can think Biles is the GOAT. For everyone else it should be Comaneci ;)

You guys know I live and breathe this sport for decades now. Comaneci is not my GOAT either. She was excellent for her time, but anyone who knows a bit about how gymnastics is scored nowadays would be aware that her routines which received a perfect 10 score would not have received a perfect 10 in execution today. Of course, anachronistic comparisons are almost always very hard to do correctly, so it might be pointless to compare today's scoring sytem with the system used in the past, but if we want to determine who is the GOAT, these kinds of comparisons are inescapable. The whole "she's the first perfect 10 in history" actually masquerades what was essentially a completely different way to understand this sport back then. Of course this doesn't diminish her achievements as a gymnast.

There's a number of legendary gymnasts in this sport: Caslavska, Korbut, Shushunova, Boginskaya and Silivas; more recently, Chusovitina, Khorkina, Mustafina and, of course, Biles.

However, Latynina won medals in every event at a single edition of the World Championships and in a single edition of the Olympic Games. Besides, Latynina has 18 Olympic medals, something that Biles will probably never be able to achieve -- even if Biles wins every possible medal this year and every possible medal in 2024, she will still fall short, with 17 medals.

I think people just assumed that Biles will sweep a second time and maybe overtake Latynina as the most successful female gymnast (in terms of gold medals), which definitely won't happen now. A lesson should be learned that people shouldn't declare stuff too early, Biles is still behind not just Latynina, but also Caslavska, Keleti, Comaneci, and couple of other Soviets, and in terms of total medals she's even more down the list.