website statistics

Slalom Canoeing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

39 minutes ago, hckošice said:

well, this does not belong to the olympics, at least not for now. removing M C2 and replacing it by this, is probably the biggest fail of ICF in the try of atracting this sport

Definitely a shame to remove imho the greatest class C2 in slalom canoeing. Leaving that aside, there are yet 6 or 7 girls in WC1 which are really really good and it's nice for them having the opportunity to perform at the Olympics. Of course, there is a HUGE gap between the best 6-8 and the rest. Hopefully there will be more competitive C1 Women in Paris. 

If it was up to me, I'd include the WC1 to the program too and ofc keep the MC2. ;)

If the ICF wanted to keep C2 in the Olympics they should have started developing a women's version two decades ago when the writing re: gender equality was very much on the wall. They created kayak cross out of nowhere, they could have made women's canoeing happen decades ago if they wanted to.

The ICF clearly doesn't care about C2, they don't even bother holding it at worlds. This is on them, not on the IOC.

36 minutes ago, rajiv said:

The hatred of Jessica Fox here is quite palpable

This time I think you have a point.

Someone's parents being in the international Federation of course helps that person's career in that sport, but it cannot create talent out of nowhere.
And this sport is not one where jury's composition is important (figure skating for example), or when a match official can influence the outcome of the match (boxing khm khm, but also most fighting sports, :HUN could also tell their experiences about fencing, water polo, etc.)

If I understand this correctly, the claim here is that this event was included in Olympic programme just to help Fox win the gold medal? And what happens when Fox retires? Do they take it out then ? :lol:

6 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

This time I think you have a point.

Someone's parents being in the international Federation of course helps that person's career in that sport, but it cannot create talent out of nowhere.
And this sport is not one where jury's composition is important (figure skating for example), or when a match official can influence the outcome of the match (boxing khm khm, but also most fighting sports, :HUN could also tell their experiences about fencing, water polo, etc.)

If I understand this correctly, the claim here is that this event was included in Olympic programme just to help Fox win the gold medal? And what happens when Fox retires? Do they take it out then ? :lol:

Yeah, it's totally possible. In 20 years time slalom canoe could be removed from SOG alltogether in favor of e-sports and tiktok dancing :dunno: