website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

That's why I feel about Chilean and Brazilian Portuguese

Latin American Spanish in general can be frustrating because of all the colloquial/slang words. Some words have different meanings in different countries, and can even be offensive in some cases. Some items just have two names for no real reason. It can be confusing for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish as a first language. 

• Like 1

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, I can´t remember any, there obviously some words having different meaning, but nothing outragoeus   for example   Vedro is in SVK (Bucket) in CZE (Heat) or Topit is in SVK (d

Thank you guys for all answers !   It´s always great to learn about things from different cultures and habits, I would never have had the chance to learn otherwise

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Latin American Spanish in general can be frustrating because of all the colloquial/slang words. Some words have different meanings in different countries, and can even be offensive in some cases. Some items just have two names for no real reason. It can be confusing for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish as a first language. 

I guess a lot of this is true about English too, but I feel like it’s worse in Spanish. Maybe that’s just because it’s my second language though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela