website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

It would be good to see a statistic in the end by Continents. I have always had a thought that the time zones and weather patterns could be having a slight edge for countries surrounding the host region. It could have no relation of course, but Europe usually does worse by my account when the games are on other continents and vise-versa. Like i would be shocked, if Asia and Australia (Oceania) have the same successful Games in Paris, like they do now.

35 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

It would be good to see a statistic in the end by Continents. I have always had a thought that the time zones and weather patterns could be having a slight edge for countries surrounding the host region. It could have no relation of course, but Europe usually does worse by my account when the games are on other continents and vise-versa. Like i would be shocked, if Asia and Australia (Oceania) have the same successful Games in Paris, like they do now.

Prepared this for Rio real quick:

Europe 135-144-151 [430]

Americas 76-60-74 [210]

Asia 73-65-102 [240]

Aus. + Oceania 13-20-15 [48]

Africa 10-18-18 [45]

Placed :TUR and :ISR into Europe; :ARM:GEO:AZE and :KAZ into Asia.

Let me know if you object. Probably have to put Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan to Europe for various championships.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

10 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Prepared this for Rio real quick:

Europe 135-144-151 [430]

Americas 76-60-74 [210]

Asia 73-65-102 [240]

Aus. + Oceania 13-20-15 [48]

Africa 10-18-18 [45]

Placed :TUR and :ISR into Europe; :ARM:GEO:AZE and :KAZ into Asia.

Let me know if you object. Probably have to put Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan to Europe for various championships.

Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan compete in the European Championships for every sport. I think they should be counted for Europe, though it won't make a significant difference either way. Kazakhstan is firmly Asia.

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan compete in the European Championships for every sport. I think they should be counted for Europe, though it won't make a significant difference either way. Kazakhstan is firmly Asia.

Then it's..

Europe 139-155-165 [459]

Americas 76-60-74 [210]

Asia 69-54-88 [211]

Aus. + Oceania 13-20-15 [48]

Africa 10-18-18 [45]

Either way, Europe will always come out on top. Many big and mid-big medalling countries and lots of European-heavy sports while Asia has :CHN:JPN:KOR and then a huge gap and it's mostly just about the :USA US for the Americas. Other need to step up a bit although the overall quality in Europe is quite high.

Before the Games I thought that the realistic, not great, not terrible projection for :HUN is 5 gold and 15 total medals. We are at 5 gold and 15 total medals, from now on we can't say that this is a bad outcome for us given the current strengths and weaknesses of the Hungarian Olympic team. 

We have the same number of medals as in Rio and much more 4th* places, I think it's safe to say that in many ways we are performing on the same level as Rio, if not better, we are just a bit short on gold medals. 

39 minutes ago, dcro said:

San Marino now has one medal for every 11000 people. :p

And this is how their national television shares the news. A screenshot from the Eurosport Player. :p

610bce7a52c50462539479.jpg

https://www.sanmarinortv.sm/news/attualita-c4/e-bronzo-per-myles-amine-nella-lotta-a209646

#banbestmen

25 minutes ago, dcro said:

And this is how their national television shares the news. A screenshot from the Eurosport Player. :p

https://www.sanmarinortv.sm/news/attualita-c4/e-bronzo-per-myles-amine-nella-lotta-a209646

San Marino now your adopted country as Ecuador is for @hckošice? :d